Federal Pacific Fusebox

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmo103

Hi, I've been following this forum for a while now, you all have been quite informative so I was hoping to get some help here.

I have a customer who is buying her first house. The house has a federal pacific fuse box. I know about the issues with FPE breakers, but have not heard much about FPE fuse boxes. I was considering swapping the Edison base fuses for s-type. This customer also happens to be a close friend of my wife's, so my goal is to do the right thing for her. I don't want to maintain a hazardous situation, but also don't want her have to spend money upgrading the service (only 60 amp, so I'm sure that's in the future anyway) just because a HI scared her.

Bottom on line is, I need to know if a FPE fuse box with new s-type fuses is considered safe. Thank you for your help

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Hi, I've been following this forum for a while now, you all have been quite informative so I was hoping to get some help here.

I have a customer who is buying her first house. The house has a federal pacific fuse box. I know about the issues with FPE breakers, but have not heard much about FPE fuse boxes. I was considering swapping the Edison base fuses for s-type. This customer also happens to be a close friend of my wife's, so my goal is to do the right thing for her. I don't want to maintain a hazardous situation, but also don't want her have to spend money upgrading the service (only 60 amp, so I'm sure that's in the future anyway) just because a HI scared her.

Bottom on line is, I need to know if a FPE fuse box with new s-type fuses is considered safe. Thank you for your help
Any indications of overloading seen in the wiring?
Are the fuses currently installed appropriate for the wire size?
Has she had any problem with blowing fuses?

The answers may factor into your decision.

jmo103

That is all unknown. This is coming from a HI report that warned her she may not be able to insure the home with that panel. She passes papers in 2 weeks and the next day I will be able to look at everything. Unfortunately that's all the information I have now.

user 100

Ditto and afaik, the FPE fuse panels don't share the infamous notoriety associated with FPE stablok breakers/panels.

user 100

Another factor she may run into is getting home owners insurance with 60 amps and fuses.

True, but not necessarily. I've got a hint that the prospective H.O. may not be able to afford having the service upgraded at the present and if she can get insurance, and the wiring checks out that may be a better option- although even if she could get insured but money isn't an issue, now (before she moves in) is an opportune time to shoot for that new service.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The HI is just scaremongering, makes him look more important than he is.

The issues with FPE StabLok breakers was that they might fail to trip. That would have ZERO bearing on a fuse box. Fuses blow, not trip. FPE did not make the fuses, just the box.

So is he saying that the insurance company might not underwrite a house with a fuse box? There are literally millions of residences in the US that are using fuse boxes instead of CB panels. If insurance companies refused to insure houses with fuse boxes, there would be millions of homeowners with no insurance. That would prompt some entrepeneuring insurance company to come up with a plan that WOULD cover houses with fuse boxes. But that's not the case. I've never heard of an insurance company that would not underwrite a house with a fuse box, as long as it meets code, or even met code when originally installed.

Bogus.

jmo103

The HI is just scaremongering, makes him look more important than he is.

The issues with FPE StabLok breakers was that they might fail to trip. That would have ZERO bearing on a fuse box. Fuses blow, not trip. FPE did not make the fuses, just the box.

That was my opinion, I just wanted to see if I was way off base.

So is he saying that the insurance company might not underwrite a house with a fuse box? There are literally millions of residences in the US that are using fuse boxes instead of CB panels. If insurance companies refused to insure houses with fuse boxes, there would be millions of homeowners with no insurance. That would prompt some entrepeneuring insurance company to come up with a plan that WOULD cover houses with fuse boxes. But that's not the case. I've never heard of an insurance company that would not underwrite a house with a fuse box, as long as it meets code, or even met code when originally installed.

Bogus.

HI never even mentioned the fact that they are fuses.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I have had similar situations with homeowners buying houses, that some insurance companies are not insuring homes if they have fuses, or knob & tube wiring.
So if the prospective buyer cant get insurance because of it, then so too, they cannot get a mortgage without insurance. Whammie
So arrangements often time mean the original homeowner needs to have the service and wiring upgraded before the sale. After all most of this stuff is past its prime and now you're forced to change it. Insurance companies trying to reduce risk or payouts however you view it.

10fords

I've had quite a few customers whose insurance threatened to cancel their policy due to fuses, or the infamous FPE breakers. In both cases you can placate the insurance co. With the fuses I put in the fusetron base that will only accept the fuse size appropriate for the wire size. With the FPE breakers you can put in the listed replacements (I forget the brand) but they are expensive enough where it is usually better to just replace the panel. It's been quite a while since I've done the fusetron fix, but a few months ago I did the breaker replacement for a customer. It was a meter main panel and it would have been about $2500 to replace, so for $500 in breakers I got them off his back. It made sense as he was tearing down the house in a year anyway to build a new one. In my experience none of these things get noticed until someone gets an inspection for a refinance or a sale. I get at least a few calls a month from realtors wanting a quote on a panel replacement because the HI called out the panel as unsafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.