Fatal Work Injuries Caused by Exposure to Electricity in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
On the NFPA website is the above article which stated that the majority of electrocutions were from working on a live circuit. If you want to reduce being electrocuted Turn the power off !

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
The majority of people who've died skydiving jumped from a plane.

Even 70e says it's OK to work live if you're troubleshooting. Other than that the only occasional work I do live is a single switch or receptacle but thats rare anyways. I know guys who will do anything live and that's why there are old electricians and brave electricians but they're not the same guy ever.

mtnelect

Occupation
The majority of people who've died skydiving jumped from a plane.

Even 70e says it's OK to work live if you're troubleshooting. Other than that the only occasional work I do live is a single switch or receptacle but thats rare anyways. I know guys who will do anything live and that's why there are old electricians and brave electricians but they're not the same guy ever.

One incident was a HVAC contractor cleaning a unit and when he bent over his head touched the evaporator coil which happened to be live ... he was electrocuted. There are simple innocent procedures that can become deadly.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
One incident was a HVAC contractor cleaning a unit and when he bent over his head touched the evaporator coil which happened to be live ... he was electrocuted. There are simple innocent procedures that can become deadly.
How was the evaporator coil live? That doesn't strike me as a normally energized component.

mtnelect

Occupation
How was the evaporator coil live? That doesn't strike me as a normally energized component.

The NFPA article pointed out in all these electrocutions there was a common thread. Unknown electrical equipment failure or unknown live wiring to close to their activity.

mtnelect

Occupation
In another electrocution, a tree trimmer was using an aluminum extension ladder when it came in contact with a power line. But the majority of the electrocutions were at a residence.

Status
Not open for further replies.