Fastening NM-B (Romex)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikep

Is there an approved staple gun for installing romex in residential homes? Arrow makes a T75 but the staples are vague in their use. The Home Depot sells one but I tried three units and they did not work. Any suggestions are welcome.
Mike Email:(map8797@aol.com)

[ November 18, 2003, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: mikep ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Fastening NM-B (Romex)

I've only seen the Arrow staplers advertised. They require two staples at each fastening.

[ November 18, 2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: tom baker ]

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

just one ..... use standard staples and a hammer

big jim

I have one of the Home Depot ones. The only problem I've had is it occasionally misfires because the staples don't slide forward properly. As far as compliance, inspector did not have any problem with them today in a workshop built behind a residence. They are quick and easy. I tend to use a lot of staples and it speeds me up a lot

lady sparks lover

If I can be of some help, becarefull with Romex, because it was the cable feeding my dishwasher, and because the crazy installer used Romex outside, and since it was cold the insulation cracked. Next thing you know it burned a whole in the siding... :)

[ November 20, 2003, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: lady sparks lover ]

tonyi

Insulated staples are about all I'll use. If its big wire and I can't find an insulated staple big enough I'll make my own by stabbing a chunk of NM sheath between the legs.

I saw one place with severe sill scorching from arc damage caused by a rusted ordinary staple that over the years slow-mo sawed through the sheath of a 12-3.

iwire

Staff member

Insulated staples are required here in MA for NM sizes smaller than three 8 awgs.

334.30. Revise 334.30 as follows [(A), (B), and (C) unchanged from the NEC]:

334.30 Securing and Supporting. Nonmetallicsheathed cable shall be secured by staples, cable ties, straps, or similar fittings so designed and installed as to not damage the cable. Where staples used for cable sizes smaller than three 8 AWG conductors, they shall be of the insulated type, or listed noninsulated staples driven by staple guns shall be permitted. Cable shall be secured in place at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (4? ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) from every cabinet, box, or fitting. For other than within 300 mm (12 in.) of a cable termination at a cabinet, box, or fitting, cables passing through successive holes in adjacent framing members no more than 600 mm (24 in.) apart shall be considered to be secured.

pierre

There is nothing wrong with staples, insulated or not. It is the installer who misapplies the staple that creates the potential hazard. Staples are not intended to be driven through the sheath :D

Pierre

Ed MacLaren

Has anyone tried the "Clipster" yet? More info here- - http://www.pmmiintl.com/clipsterpro.pdf

clipster2.gif

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.