extension cord on garage door opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly

Re: extension cord on garage door opener

It says among other things, "Flexible cords and cables SHALL NOT be used as a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure". Read NEC 400-8.
steve

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Misuse of extension cords is a big cause of fires. If you want easy, get some plastic surface mount raceway and run an extension. If it was me I'd run emt, zip zap done and looks good

[ February 23, 2004, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: tom baker ]

satcom

Just as a side note, in our area over the last two years, three homes went up in smoke, cause extension cords used on garage door openers failed.

luke warmwater

zekeman, why do you ask?
Do you have a 8' high garage door and 12' high garage ceilings??

What does anybody do in that situation?
Do you leave it up to the garage door opener installer?

hurk27

Tod that happens all the time around here. We leave a whip out of the ceiling (on high ones) and after the opener is installed we just sleeve it with EMT to a handy box and mount on the angle iron that supports the motor. but if you don't the opener installers will use a 3' extension cord to reach the receptacle in the ceiling. I have only had one that actuly changed the cord on the motor to a longer cord.

[ February 23, 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

zekeman

Hi all

Thanks for all your help!!

I finally did it.

I mounted the receptacle to a 4x4 vertical post that supports the garage door rails. The opener now plugs directly into it.

Am I OK now??

By the way Tod, the garage is about 10 feet high and I didn't want to work that high.

Status
Not open for further replies.