Extend recessed box or short jumper?

litedesign

Occupation
Lighting Designer
Client provided this linear LED fixture. It was a sample from the manufacturer, so it's wired with a standard edison cable. He wants to replace the lamp holder in the ceiling with this, but it is not designed to to connect to a recessed outlet box. Is it better to use an extension ring to bring the box out of the ceiling, and mount the fixture directly to it? Or can I get away with covering the recessed box with a center-knockout cover and running a short cable between the fixture and the recessed box (which IMO would be easier, and better looking)?
Thanks!

Several options. Extension ring and hardwire with MC or a nipple or splice of EMT. Or as you mentioned, put a blank cover with a KO use a piece of MC with a 90° connector. Or the blank cover with a bushing or short nipple and mount the fixture over the box, running the feed into the back of the fixture. Install recep as was mentioned, either directly on that box with one of those 4 inch octagon duplex receptacle covers, or on an extension ring of you need more space. So many choices, so little time!

litedesign

Occupation
Lighting Designer
Great ideas, all. I hadn't considered just installing a receptacle and using the existing cable on the fixture. I'll see if the homeowner likes that.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
This appears to be a garage or storage room? I see a surface mounted water line as well. I wouldn't worry much about the looks on this. You don't want it to look sloppy but it doesn't have to be living room quality either. I would do an extension ring and receptacle. Coil any excess cord into an oval and tie wrap it good. Use a few MC straps to strap to ceiling.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician