ever seen this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

Was reviewing electrical service to townhouses and there was a three phase feed to each meter-module section and then a single phase service to the individual townhouses but the circuit breaker for the townhouses were what appeared to be a 4-pole breaker, can anyone explain? thank you.

ramdiesel3500

I guess GE decided that (2) 100a breakers is cheaper than (1) 200A, so they paralleled (2) 100's and pushed it through the UL listing system! We install tons of them here in Indiana!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
From what I've been told, the GE 200a 4-section main is a 2-pole breaker with a pair of contact-only cases paralleled for the purpose of lowering contact resistance. Only the two inner sections actually respond to over-current and faults.

ramdiesel3500 said:
I guess GE decided that (2) 100a breakers is cheaper than (1) 200A, so they paralleled (2) 100's and pushed it through the UL listing system! We install tons of them here in Indiana!

A couple of years ago I had to replace one of these in a restaurant then a few weeks later I found the same breaker in a 200 amp contractor pack @ H Depot for 30 dollars less than the breaker alone.

Last edited:

necnotevenclose

bwyllie said:
Was reviewing electrical service to townhouses and there was a three phase feed to each meter-module section and then a single phase service to the individual townhouses but the circuit breaker for the townhouses were what appeared to be a 4-pole breaker, can anyone explain? thank you.

Seems like this design was a sort of bang for your buck. If you are able to provide a three phase service rather than a single phase transfomer than you could get a larger sized commercial transformer to accomodate a and then alternate your single phase loads across the phases. This is done alot for residential units especially when they are over 600A and since there tends to be typical floor plans with similar power requirements the load is pretty much balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.