estimating conduit branch circuit runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

copper123

I am looking at a small job that is all in 3/4 conduit. Metal studs around a 100'x 50' building. Conv. outlets are just Metal bracket boxes screwed to the studs, conduit, ect. Does anybody have a good idea what a standard length of time most folks bid work like this at? I am just wanting to get a number for the conduit installation, not the wire pulling. I know what a am going to bid ( I am doing it myself ) but what is a good number for labor if you are having a JW do it? Nothing tech. about the job, home runs will be a little challenging as they have to run up in the wooden rafters, but as far as a hard fast rule, does anybody know what the estimation programs spit out when you calculate the length of the conduit run? After I find out the numbers on the bids, I want to dissect the numbers and see whats shaken with everyone. Also, I have many stub ups for the Com. 411/16 box, 1" emt stubbed up through the metal plate and a 12" 90 with plastic bushing on it. Ceiling height is 10'
Thanks!

chrsb

Re: estimating conduit branch circuit runs

3/4 with couplings and conn on each end per 100-3.36
hours.
1" with 4 11/16, plaster ring, plastic bushing-.83 hours each stub up.

copper123

So you are saying 3.36 hours for every hundred feet of conduit and .83 hours for stub ups. Well, that is pretty close to what I bid at. .50 hours for stub ups, 4 hours every hundred for conduit.
Does that 3.36 hours include many bends ect. or is that a strait run price? Or does the estimation programs not care?

Thanks for the reply

celtic

In my experience in running EMT through studs, it takes roughly 8 hrs/100 ft.

This time includes all strapping, cutting reaming, bending of the conduit...and also includes mounting of boxes...and assumes the installer knows how to run pipe.

Running pipe through a stud wall is NOT the same as running conduit ON a wall. Studs must be measured and punched as the holes in metal studs do not always line up (and why should they, the carpenter doesn't carry about what is going through his wall)...GreenLee makes a stud punch for this type of application which is much faster than using a hole saw or some or "primitive" means. Running a pipe through a corner is not as easy as it sounds - the bend radius may actually be OUTSIDE the corner, and IN the room. Having multiple runs in a wall at opposite angles is also not the same as running AC/RX...pipe is bigger than wire; OD of 3/4" EMT is 1.125" x2 = 2.25, leaving about 1" of space (or 1/2" on either side of perpendicular runs). Planning is essential with multiple runs in a stud wall. I had a cash wrap job that included circuits from 2 different panels (2 conduits), 2 tele lines (2 more conduits) and a keypad (1 more conduit)....all this is a room that was 6x5 (x4' high - no stub-ups, all runs back to "home")...tele and 1 "reg" + 1 IG recept, every 2'...that took 2 hours just to map out.

On an exposed wall, that time is almost cut in half (4hrs/100').

For your 100'x50' area (300' linear feet) I guesstimate 4 days for all conduit runs and 1 drag line per conduit, including the stub-ups to no where.

chrsb

Yes, for 3/4 it does not matter on bends. That does not include wire, any j-boxs, it is just 100' of emt with a connector on each end put into the ceiling with 1 hole straps. You are close with your estimate, I used a normal run for the program, I could use difficult or easy. I forgot to put in the scews for the 1 hole straps so it might be a little higher. Dont forget for 10-15' high ceilings add 5%, 15-20' 10%, 21-25' 20%.

Originally posted by copper123:
So you are saying 3.36 hours for every hundred feet of conduit and .83 hours for stub ups. Well, that is pretty close to what I bid at. .50 hours for stub ups, 4 hours every hundred for conduit.
Does that 3.36 hours include many bends ect. or is that a strait run price? Or does the estimation programs not care?

Thanks for the reply

[ April 26, 2005, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: chrsb ]

celtic

Originally posted by celtic:
.... 1 drag line per conduit, including the stub-ups to no where.
I give the "BONUS" drag line that's probably a part of the contract.
:D

active1

Around here you need to do 300-400+ per day depending on working conditions. Most metal studs go faster than wood.

Plan and mark your path. Hang boxes. Stud punch - click, click, click, & click. Drill where the punch wont fit with the cordless - zip. Then start bending. You can only make so many bends in 1 stick.

I've been told to let the boss know if a guy is not doing 300' in wood studs so he can let the guy go.

100' per day is more than 45 min per stick. I understand you have time hanging boxes and clean up but what elce takes so long?

For bidding out just go per opening.

Tom

celtic

Originally posted by active1:

100' per day is more than 45 min per stick. I understand you have time hanging boxes and clean up but what elce takes so long?
A 10' length with a 90 on it does fit very well in a wall horizontially..cuts and couplings are mandatory. Sure for stub-ups into a suspended ceiling, a 90 on a length into a box using caddy brackets is a piece of cake.

All we run here in the Chicago are is conduit. NM is illegal in the area. I hope that you are saying your bid time for 100' of 3/4 is 8 hours and not the actuall install time. I go through much more than that in 8 hours, but conduit is all I work with. If I even thought of doing a new home in NM I would be TOTALLY lost. If anyone is interested in pictures of a home done in conduit let me know. This request has been made before and I still have the pictures that I can email to you.

Scott Moran
Chicago, Il

copper123

Holy smokes Active1
You guys dont mess around! Sounds like you have a pretty darn good crew.

active1

We figure 1/2 hour per opening average in wood walls. Some are easy back to backs while many are near 30' box to box by the time you go up over and around.

Like Scott said I'm also not skilled in doing NM. I've had other guys tell me they could have piped a home faster when they tried NM because that is all they are used to.

If the holes are punched or drilled strait near the edge studs you can put in full sticks with 90's providing you have the working room and no wall obstructions. Metal is much easier for this because most studs will have some flex to them. It makes a noise like nails on a chock board.

Also be care full on bidding when it comes to the gage of studs. Some studs may be too thick to punch and others may be closer to a beam with welds holding them in.

3/4 for everything may be excessive but if the customer wants it the materials are double and a bit more labor.

You should figure on the 4 11/16 boxes because it has more than 1 3/4 KO each side. Also what's the point of using bigger pipes if the boxes are too small.

For pipe needed residential we figure 1' for every SF. But that is more custom homes with lost of extras and tall cielings. Can't help you for commercial.

My problem right now is no real work. Just small stuff to waist the day.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.