Erickson termination cabinet? Never used one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdog76

On a 400 amp new service install. There will be a 400 amp main and a 10 position meter stack (2 - 5 positions I believe) with all the mains on the outside of this old apartment building I get to rewire and change the service on. My supplier and the utility both pointed me to using a separate termination cabinet for the utility wiring. They are calling it an ericson box, but I am unsure of spelling, never used one before, and wondered if anyone could post a link. I looked online to no avail. I was wondering the dimensions of such a box (sounds like a CT cabinet w/o the CT). This is a 120/240 single phase service with a 400 amp main I will be putting in. Any links would be appreciated. And i am planning the service to be run underground (why I dont quite know).

Also, sounds like I will have to field wire between this termination box and my 400 amp main, I guess using conduit between equipment. Any tips there would be apprecitated. Right now I am looking at the Square D EZ-Meter stack for the service equipment.
I was hoping for a built-in termination box w/ the equipment but the utility will not hook-on to my main because of their rules (something about the linemen breaking lugs off and them having to replace the service equipment). SO, they will only go into a separate termination box.

Any thoughts?

John120/240

20 years ago one local POCO had a similar rule. Underground service the electrican would land

all wires in the meter socket. Line in & load to the panel. POCO would connect line side in a

12 X 12 box below meter with polaris or split bolts. This way relieved POCO of responsiblity

of breaking the meter lugs.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I have run into this as well, but it was a while back. As I recall, in my case the POCO supplied it. They can eat up a lot of space. Sort of a demarcation point between POCO and customer owned equip.

John120/240

I have run into this as well, but it was a while back. As I recall, in my case the POCO supplied it. They can eat up a lot of space. Sort of a demarcation point between POCO and customer owned equip.

Exactly. For example look at a overhead service. Electrican connects load side of meter to

panel & line side of meter. POCO connects at weather head.

Current procedure on underground is load side only. POCO does line side

Status
Not open for further replies.