Energy saving device... again

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteo

A recent thread here about a device to reduce electric utility bills was stimulating but a lot of it went right by me. Several postings pointed out that glossy promotional pages are not the same as real information. I found an interesting device on the internet which looks interesting and perhaps others would care to comment on it.

This is a new (2002) Korean company which builds a patented ?Balance Control Transformer.? There are two Korean patents pending, one for the 220V single phase 5.5 kVA on single phase unit and another for the 380V unit. Their contention is that it smooths harmonics as a power quality filter and that this can result in bill savings of 6 to 20 percent. Another contention, if I understand the translation correctly, is that this is a simple transformer, no capacitors or IC?s involved, so it could easily last for twenty five years. One page has a statement, ?SEBICS Power Saver was assigned as the one to get governmental support that Korea Energy Management Corporation (KEMCO) pays full expense for the installation? which I halfway understand; KEMCO is a non-profit government agency in charge of implementing energy efficiency & conservation policies.

I?m posting a couple internet addresses, each of which has some information. The Bucheon area pages have clearer english than the SEBICS pages, and a Test Results page with some real-world results which appear to make sense; a heater application gains almost nothing where fluorescent lighting gets a great benefit.

First question. If I understand this correctly, what they?ve got is a zigzag transformer setup with built in feedback between the phases. I?m thinking that this is the same thing as using quadrature in encoders, so that noise signals will be cancelled out.

Second queston. The ?before and after? waveforms make sense, with only cleaner signals, and no phase shift effect. Their statement is that leg to leg voltage imbalance is improved. Does this make sense?

As you can tell, these are open ended and any comments or observations are welcome.

Bucheon (Korea) english page URL. It cuts the transformer and in/out diagram pictures off:
http://www.bizbc.net/co/sebcskorea/GC00384861/CA00384869/SEBICS_SYSTEM.html

Translated company page. Google should automatically translate the other pages.
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sebics.co.kr%2Fnew%2Fsebic%2Findex.html%3Fcate%3D06&langpair=ko%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
This is nothing new, other than the claims of saving "energy". Mirus in Canada has been selling this technology for years as a means of reducing harmonics.

http://www.mirusinternational.com/home.htm

The principal is sound and the concept of wanting harmonics to be reduced is sound, but the fact is you don't really pay for harmonic current in your electricity bill in most areas, so it will not likely reduce your monthly bill if that is your only goal.

peteo

Thank you for the replies. In my small mind I can't imagine this is any different than using reactors; but there looks to be some way it is applied, as in feedback or something.

I will look at that link and try to understand. Thanks again.

jtester

Most of these "meter tricking devices" utilize harmonics, they don't eliminate them. Utility merters are averaging, not true rms. If you measure current with a true rms meter and compare power to a reading from a utility meter you can show that you are providing more power than the utility reads. The power is not utilized by the customer, but it gives the illusion that you are getting something for free.

Jim T

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
peteo said:
I will look at that link and try to understand.

In general, I don't think these companies want anyone to understand their advertising gibberish. If you understood it, you would probably realize that it won't work, or that it won't do what they claim.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
"Patent Pending"

"Patent Pending"

People might also realize that any heat the thing gives off is costing them on their electric bill.

Speaking as someone who plays with patents, the advertising claims don't have to be supported by the patent claims. Getting a patent on something just means it was new, novel and non-obvious. It doesn't mean it works, works well, saves money, or anything else of the sort.

Take a look at US Patent #6,293,874. You can search patents at the US PTO, www.uspto.gov.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I find it interesting that they patented that as an "Initiating Device" as opposed to a form of self punishment. What a nice positive attitude they had back then!

Status
Not open for further replies.