EMT outdoors for Temp or Permanent Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

spizeii

Hello,

My friend just had an inspector tell him that an amendment to the NEC for 2004 states that EMT shall not be used outdoors for any reason (temp or perm) in NY. I thought that there was an amendment several years ago stating that EMT was permitted outside for temp or perm installations as long as compression type fittings were used.
Does anyone know about this amendment or is the inspector wrong????

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Re: EMT outdoors for Temp or Permanent Installation

N.Y. has its own agenda thay go by.i left there in 83 and then it was a world apart from here.If I remember right wire fill in EMT was 3 in 1/2,5 in 3/4 and no more than 7 or 9 in any conduit.OK who`s going to jump in. :eek:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

N.Y. has its own agenda

I don't see that to be the case. There is a NY State electrical code but it follows the NEC in almost all cases.

Now, if you are talking about New York City, well that's a whole 'nuther can of worms!
:eek:
-Hal

spizeii

Actually, the NYC Code does not exist anymore. All of NY including NYC and it's boroughs now go NY the NEC ONLY. The inspector said it was to be an amendment to the NEC.

pierre

Hal
NYC did have the above mentioned restrictions, but no longer. The city is following the NEC with 323 amendments.
As far as NYS not permitting the EMT outside, there was a short time that raintight fittings were an issue. Now that Bridgeport has the 1/2, 3/4, and 1 inch fittings it is not such a problem.

Pierre

pierre

NYC adopted the 2002 NEC January 1st of 2004, with the final day that anyone can file under the 1999 version being July 1 of 2004.
NYC most likely will adopt the 2005 NEC in January of 2005 with July 2005 being the effective date for everyone to follow. NYC will then try and stay current with the NEC cycle.

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.