Emergency Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dema

If a storage barn has no electricity, is emergency egress lighting required? Where is the exception written? This will be a new pole barn used to house commercial vehicles. Thank you.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
If a storage barn has no electricity, is emergency egress lighting required? Where is the exception written? This will be a new pole barn used to house commercial vehicles. Thank you.

The basic rules for the requirements of exit and emergency lighting are in NFPA 101 or the International building code. One or the other is usually adopted by the State you reside in. Often rewritten as part of the State's building code.

dema

I found it

I found it

International building code - this is a group U and therefore an exception. Group U includes private construction.

1006.1 Illumination required.
The means of egress, including the exit discharge, shall be illuminated at all times the building space served by the means of egress is occupied.

Exceptions:

1. Occupancies in Group U.

Pole barn construction - it has sides - if you Google pole barn construction and look at the pictures it describes it pretty well. It is just a type of building. Doesn't have to be used as a barn.

mgookin

International building code - this is a group U and therefore an exception. Group U includes private construction.

1006.1 Illumination required.
The means of egress, including the exit discharge, shall be illuminated at all times the building space served by the means of egress is occupied.

Exceptions:

1. Occupancies in Group U.

Pole barn construction - it has sides - if you Google pole barn construction and look at the pictures it describes it pretty well. It is just a type of building. Doesn't have to be used as a barn.

There's also a pole barn definition in law related to building codes in many states. If it's not that pole barn, it should not be called a pole barn.

dema

Pole building

Pole building

Thank you for letting me know that the construction type is referenced. Didn't know that. It is a construction type though, and not an occupancy. I should be calling this a pole building and not a pole barn.

pole build·ing
noun
a quickly constructed building in which vertical poles are secured in the ground to serve as both the foundation and framework.

Status
Not open for further replies.