emergency lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph mulherin

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Wattstopper elcu 200 emergency lighting control unit using it as a control device. What I want to know is what ever lights it calls for to be emergency lights,is those lights getting power from the normal circuit along with the rest and when the normal power fails the watt stopper then. switches to emergency power just to run the lights it called for to be emergency,or is it the emergency lights being Fed from the emergency circuit at all times and some how that control device somehow works in. unison with the normal power can someone explain please

iwire

Staff member
http://www.wattstopper.com/~/media/...g-Control-Unit-Installation-Instructions.ashx

The diagrams are in the link

But in short the lights run from the emergency source, the only thing the normal source is used for is to tell this ELCU that normal is available or not.

The point of using the ELCU is to be able to code compliantly turn off emergency lighting only when normal power is available.

When the normal power fails the ELUC turns the emergency lights on regardless of any local switch being on or off.

Joseph mulherin

emergency lights

emergency lights

I understand the diagram maybe I'm over thinking it I'm having trouble figuring whether or not the normal power was running the emergency lights until the normal power went out then the e circuit would pick up the lights you made emergency for instance a school bathroom 8 lights total 2 of them emergency the two emergency gets its own switch leg and neutral straight from the watt stopper the normal lights switch leg from same place along with what ever device your using I get it what I'm not getting is all 8 lights is normal power controlling them until normal fails then emergency kicks in to control the two e lights. am I making sense

iwire

Staff member
The emergency lights will never be powerd from the normal supply.

The only thing the normal supply is used for is powering the relay.

Joseph mulherin

e lights

e lights

I know I'm over thinking this,ok I guess I'm having a hard time with how the e lights will work with the normal lights off the occupancy sensor I'm use to doing industrial work.can you make me understand this. I can hook it up like the diagram says no problem like I said I'm confused about the occupancy sensor controlling all the lights including the e lights when normal power is in operation,help me understand I know its simple its just not sinking in thanks

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I know I'm over thinking this,ok I guess I'm having a hard time with how the e lights will work with the normal lights off the occupancy sensor I'm use to doing industrial work.can you make me understand this. I can hook it up like the diagram says no problem like I said I'm confused about the occupancy sensor controlling all the lights including the e lights when normal power is in operation,help me understand I know its simple its just not sinking in thanks
A good question. The occupancy sensor cannot be used on the normal power feed, since that would cause the elight to switch to the backup power source when the occupancy sensor timed out. Exactly the opposite of what is needed.

To do what you want, the elight would have to have three inputs:
1. The emergency power source, which must not be switched.
2. The on/off input, connected to manual switch or occupancy sensor, but not necessarily providing power, depending on the design. This is the normal switch sense in the Wattstopper unit.
3. Unswitched normal power so that the elight's logic can override the normal on/off input when the normal power fails and force the light on. This does not necessarily provide power to the light at any time, again depending on design. This is the normal power sense input on the Wattstopper.
An alternate mechanism would provide power during normal operation from a switched normal power circuit, but whenever the emergency power circuit switched on the light would go on. The
Wattstopper does not work this way.
This also cannot be done when the backup power source is internal to the luminaire or ballast.

Joe Villani

I understand the diagram maybe I'm over thinking it I'm having trouble figuring whether or not the normal power was running the emergency lights until the normal power went out then the e circuit would pick up the lights you made emergency for instance a school bathroom 8 lights total 2 of them emergency the two emergency gets its own switch leg and neutral straight from the watt stopper the normal lights switch leg from same place along with what ever device your using I get it what I'm not getting is all 8 lights is normal power controlling them until normal fails then emergency kicks in to control the two e lights. am I making sense

This depends on your occupancy sensor.

You could add an additional relay pack just for the (2) emergency lights and hook the emergency relay to that pack or

Install a 2 pole relay/contactor off the occupancy sensor. One pole is normal one pole is the emergency. (I would have to double check the code for an exception about combining normal and emergency circuits as the load side of one of the poles would have the emergency circuit)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
This depends on your occupancy sensor.

You could add an additional relay pack just for the (2) emergency lights and hook the emergency relay to that pack or

Install a 2 pole relay/contactor off the occupancy sensor. One pole is normal one pole is the emergency. (I would have to double check the code for an exception about combining normal and emergency circuits as the load side of one of the poles would have the emergency circuit)
With the Wattstopper shown in the link, you could just supply occupancy sensor controlled power to the normal fixtures and to the normal switch sense input of the Wattstopper.
Since the Wattstopper does not appear to have to mount inside a box, there would be no violation of mixing the two power sources in one box or raceway.

Joe Villani

With the Wattstopper shown in the link, you could just supply occupancy sensor controlled power to the normal fixtures and to the normal switch sense input of the Wattstopper.
Since the Wattstopper does not appear to have to mount inside a box, there would be no violation of mixing the two power sources in one box or raceway.

Yup. That relay does what I was saying but in a convenient package :)

Joseph mulherin

e lights

e lights

Thanks I do believe its against code to have normal and emergency lighting in the same race way,but the way this elcu hooks up they will have come back to one box to be terminated,I was thinking on a larger scale,thinking it worked like a transfer switch but actually both circuits work in tandem together I will rise the e lights in separate conduits to be safe what do wall think

iwire

Staff member
Thanks I do believe its against code to have normal and emergency lighting in the same race way,but the way this elcu hooks up they will have come back to one box to be terminated,I was thinking on a larger scale,thinking it worked like a transfer switch but actually both circuits work in tandem together I will rise the e lights in separate conduits to be safe what do wall think

Separate conduits required there are exceptions for enclosures

Joseph mulherin

e lights

e lights

Yes I agree on the enclosures thanks for all y'alls help if ya'll have any advice on what I'm doing on this forum that's wrong,please let me know guys its new to me.I'm going behind an electrician to fix these lights in a school bathrooms.,and its all fubar with you guys help I can get this going I opened the any that had the elcu in it today and the red normal power sensor wire wasn't hooked up at all,so pray for me.could I private message you if I have a question or any other option,text message

Status
Not open for further replies.