Emergency egress lighting required on balconies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickg

I have several 2nd floor covered balconies, each approximately 700 square feet, on a small arena project. They are each open to the exterior with full height glass windows looking into the interior of the building. Is emergency egress lighting required on the balconies? I have looked at IBC 1006.3 and I'm not sure if this falls under part 1 since it is an exterior space. Are there any other code references I should look at? Also, no other spaces exit through the balconies, so it is just a matter of getting the occupants into the building. Similar question for exit signs? Are they required on the balconies? To me the exit off of the balconies is "obvious". Ultimately, isn't this up to the AHJ's interpretation?

RICK NAPIER

An exit does not make it an emergency egress. Check the egress plans for the building. Do not put up exit signs at exits randomly since this will make it part of the egress and kick in other requirements. Ultimately the egress is the responsibility the design proffesional and reviewed by the AHJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.