Elevator Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbt260

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Is there a requirement in either the NEC or the Elevator Code that says the feeder to an elevator or elevators has to be dedicated from the building's main distribution equipment to the elevator's disconnect? If so, please provide section.

benaround

Re: Elevator Feeders

THE N.E.C. DOES NOT REQUIRE ELEVATOR POWER TO BE SUPPLIED AT THE MAIN DISTRIBUTION ,A SUB FED PANEL WITH ENOUGH POWER IS JUST FINE. ELEVATOR CODES ARE AN ONGOING PROCESS !! DEPENDING UPON THE STATE YOUR IN AND ---THE POWER OF DIFFERENT ENTITIES ,I HATE TO SAY THIS BUT IT MIGHT END UP HAVING TO BE BROUGHT BACK TO MAIN. I'M TRYING TO GET MY POINT ACROSS WITHOUT HURTING ANYONES FEELINGS.

iwire

Staff member

Ben can you kill the caps. ;)

It is considered shouting, save it for when you need or want to shout.

JMO, Bob

jschultz

in fact in many circumstances you can't put it on the main, because for high rises in chicago, it needs to be on the generator. Which means it gets fed from an ATS. But generally you only need one of the elevators at a time on the Generator and select between them, which would require an ATS per elevator if you had to feed them all off the main service.

jeffrose

It has been a few years since I've done an elevator but if memory serves me correctly the feeder has to come from the main panel and it may need to be on a shunt trip breaker. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.