Electrical Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBLES

if youguys were bidding a apartment unit to replace all receptacles< switches,appliances,and lights. how would you word the scope of work? i need to
prepare a quote for these items but i am lost on how to prepare. we have a 100 units to quote on but we might not get all 100. We may get 30-50. how can i line item materials and labor cost for each unit? does it sound better to quote individual unit or group all together?

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
is every unit the same in terms of types of items? example, every unit has a dishwasher/fridge/microwave ??
why not bid it per item count this way if unit 1 has 15 outlets but unit 4 has 20 outlets then the diff is already accounted for in the bid. plus, a per item bid makes the #'s look lower, etc.

MBLES

is every unit the same in terms of types of items? example, every unit has a dishwasher/fridge/microwave ??
why not bid it per item count this way if unit 1 has 15 outlets but unit 4 has 20 outlets then the diff is already accounted for in the bid. plus, a per item bid makes the #'s look lower, etc.

could you show example. this is a good idea. i would really appreciate. I was going to show a flat rate for 1 and 2 bedroom.

keith gigabyte

I do a lot of home "flip" work and some are plug and switch change only...meaning we change the devices only. We charge by the device. Outlets and snap switches are same price. 220 outlets more. Easy peasy. Works out almost to the minute everytime. Now I'd there Are only 2 or 3 receptacles to change its just a service call. This method really only works with 10 or more devices changed at one visit

MBLES

I do a lot of home "flip" work and some are plug and switch change only...meaning we change the devices only. We charge by the device. Outlets and snap switches are same price. 220 outlets more. Easy peasy. Works out almost to the minute everytime. Now I'd there Are only 2 or 3 receptacles to change its just a service call. This method really only works with 10 or more devices changed at one visit

i agree I am having problems how to bid this particular job. i know i gotta pull diswasher, disposal, dryer and range.permits the guy wants a line item of price and material for each. to be honest I dont normally bid work that way so i am having to learn a new skill. just in your opinion do you think this would work if i piece it out. its a remodel and all we are doing is replacing receptacle for receptacle per current city code. i was told i can replace receptacle to gfci, as long asi dont mess with wiring.

1.disposal GFCI outlet replacement $25 attach appliance cord to disposal $30.
2.dishwasher gfci outlet replacement $25 attach appliance cord to DW $30.
3. etc......

pricing is example!

i figure i can do per receptacle, switch, and fixture.....any ideas. this will all be takin as advise.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
i agree I am having problems how to bid this particular job. i know i gotta pull diswasher, disposal, dryer and range.permits the guy wants a line item of price and material for each. to be honest I dont normally bid work that way so i am having to learn a new skill. just in your opinion do you think this would work if i piece it out. its a remodel and all we are doing is replacing receptacle for receptacle per current city code. i was told i can replace receptacle to gfci, as long asi dont mess with wiring.

1.disposal GFCI outlet replacement $25 attach appliance cord to disposal $30.
2.dishwasher gfci outlet replacement $25 attach appliance cord to DW $30.
3. etc......

pricing is example!

i figure i can do per receptacle, switch, and fixture.....any ideas. this will all be takin as advise.

Divide it out into different types. TR duplex receptacles, gfci receptacles, etc. Price just a bit high on the duplex receptacles to help pay for any two and three gang plates. It should even out in the long run. Are they asking for new appliance cords? If so, just figure your labor and material cost. Charge them retail for one cord, then try to get a better deal when you buy 100 of them, or however many you get.

I would price all switches out as 3-way switches otherwise you'll confuse the client when they're trying to figure out what a single pole switch is vs a 3-way switch. You'll make up a little bit of money on the SP that will pay for a 4-way if they happen to have one. In an apartment, I doubt it, but probably maximum of one depending on the layout. Give a price for dimmers if they want those. Be clear about which dimmer you will use. They may decide against dimmers, but if you can get them dimmers for $25 they might find it worth the investment. BUT MAKE SURE YOU SPECIFY WHICH DIMMER. They can go for anything from $6 to $75.

Light fixtures should be divided into flush mount ceiling fixtures, wall sconces and hanging fixtures. A chandelier could take you an hour or two depending on it's construction, whereas a flush mount can be as simple as 4 screws, three wire nuts and the glass. Sconces can be simple sometimes, or other times a pain in the neck.

MBLES

Divide it out into different types. TR duplex receptacles, gfci receptacles, etc. Price just a bit high on the duplex receptacles to help pay for any two and three gang plates. It should even out in the long run. Are they asking for new appliance cords? If so, just figure your labor and material cost. Charge them retail for one cord, then try to get a better deal when you buy 100 of them, or however many you get.

I would price all switches out as 3-way switches otherwise you'll confuse the client when they're trying to figure out what a single pole switch is vs a 3-way switch. You'll make up a little bit of money on the SP that will pay for a 4-way if they happen to have one. In an apartment, I doubt it, but probably maximum of one depending on the layout. Give a price for dimmers if they want those. Be clear about which dimmer you will use. They may decide against dimmers, but if you can get them dimmers for $25 they might find it worth the investment. BUT MAKE SURE YOU SPECIFY WHICH DIMMER. They can go for anything from $6 to $75.

Light fixtures should be divided into flush mount ceiling fixtures, wall sconces and hanging fixtures. A chandelier could take you an hour or two depending on it's construction, whereas a flush mount can be as simple as 4 screws, three wire nuts and the glass. Sconces can be simple sometimes, or other times a pain in the neck.

Researched on internet and pretty much have done what you are saying. You guys on this forum never seem to fail me when i am searching for Ideas. I appreciate the help. I also added a few lines for Panel upgrades, troubleshooting, etc.. I pretty much gave them upfront pricing. The units are 1 and 2 bedrooms and they are all layed out the same so i figure this kinda Bid should be ok. thanks for ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.