Electrical Unbalance

Status
Not open for further replies.

OBONE

Occupation
Electrician
Hi. I was called to a residence regarding voltage spikes within the house. The readings vary but for the most part when the fridge or other appliances come on the voltage spikes on one leg to 180 volts and the other leg drops sometimes as low as 70 volts.
When the system is "normal" readings are good at 125 volts and 247 volts . Is this a grounding issue?

OBONE

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for your input. The street side seems to be fine it's something within the residence itself. Forgot to mention there's 5 to 6 amps on the ground wire and zero amps on the neutral.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Sounds to me like an open neutral where the ground goes to a common metal water pipe. Neutral current is flowing on the ground piping.

Improving the ground might help, in the sense that it would better mask the problem. The solution is to find the open neutral.

Jon

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks for your input. The street side seems to be fine it's something within the residence itself. Forgot to mention there's 5 to 6 amps on the ground wire and zero amps on the neutral.
you need to do voltage checks with a large load connected first from one leg to neutral and then connected from the other leg to neutral. You should do this with all of the breakers off except the one powering the test load....something like a 1500 watt heater is a good test load.

OBONE

Occupation
Electrician
Sounds to me like an open neutral where the ground goes to a common metal water pipe. Neutral current is flowing on the ground piping.

Improving the ground might help, in the sense that it would better mask the problem. The solution is to find the open neutral.

Jon
Tks everyone. I checked the grounding there's no ground rod connection . Looks like it was disconnected during renovations.
I'll install a new rod , hopefully this solves the issue.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
A new rod(s) will not solve the issue. Ground (earth) is not part of the circuitry.

OBONE

Occupation
Electrician
Tks . The rods should be installed as there is no incoming town water supply, there's a well on the property for water supply.
I can see this taking some time to locate the open neutral problem.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Tks everyone. I checked the grounding there's no ground rod connection . Looks like it was disconnected during renovations.
I'll install a new rod , hopefully this solves the issue
As Roger stated a grounding electrode has nothing to do with the issue. You said that there is 5 to 6 amps on the ground wire, what is the function of this "ground wire"?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
To have 5 A flowing on the 'ground wire', you must already have a pretty good grounding electrode.

So good, in fact, that I am suspicious that the 'ground wire' is properly identified.

An underground well case is probably a very good grounding electrode.

Jon

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'll install a new rod , hopefully this solves the issue.
A connection to earth will never solve any electrical problem. In some cases it may mask the problem, but it will never solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.