Electrical Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemamma

In one of our buildings we have an inverter feeding a panel which has critical equipment connected to it. This inverter has an output voltage of 220 Vac and a 4C-#2 cable is used to feed the critical panel. Inside the panel there is an array of 15A, 20A, and 30A circuit breakers. The panel rating is 120/240V, 250A max.

Does it mean that because the output of the inverters is 220Vac that the entire panel is at this voltage ? Is anyone familiar with this setup ?

Can it be a mixture of 120V/240V circuits ? Does the 4C-#2 have anything to do with this ?

Thanks in advance

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
First, welcome to the forum.

Regarding your question, does the panel have only 4-#2 conductors? Is there an equipment grounding conductor or a metallic raceway? What are the 4 conductors? 2 phase, 1 neutral, 1 EGC? We need a little more info to properly answer your question.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The fact that it is rated at 120/240 tells me that you can supply either 120 volt loads or 240 volt loads or 120/240 volt loads. Mix and match as you desire.

The fact that it is rated at 250 amps maximum tells me that the power output rating is 60 KVA (i.e., 240 volts times 250 amps).

You did not tell us the input voltage. A #2 conductor has a maximum ampacity of 115 amps. If the input is single phase, 240 volts, that same 115 amps corresponds to 27.6 KVA. So something is out of joint here.

Can you give us the input ratings" Also, repeating Infinity's question, can you tell us how the four #2 conductors are wired?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
panel.inverter

panel.inverter

Charlieb, with the #2's would you not think its simply a 250 amp (buss) panel being protected by a smaller breaker on the inverter (100 amp??)...i realize theres no way to know without more input from the OP, but that arrangement seems kinda commonplace in this area.

Joe I do think that the part about the inverter is the part we need the most info on. What kind, what?s the wattage, and is it on gird of off grid.

The part of I do know that you need to run 4 wires with almost of your inverters. I would spit out a bit more on this but there is a lack of info.

Status
Not open for further replies.