electrical code requirement concerning remtal property

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmel11

What is the required number and or location of smoke detectors in a rental home that is over 15 years old but recently purchased by new landlord

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: electrical code requirement concerning remtal property

It not an electrical code issue. You'll have to look for help in the areas of fire codes and building codes.

G

Your best bet is to call your local AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction). That may be your building, electrical, or housing dept. There may also be FHA, HUD, other federal (or state) jurisdictions.

At bare minimum in my town you'd have to install smokes (battery operated) in each sleeping bedroom, and in the hallway(s) outside the bedrooms. It's usually part of the escrow punch list along with broken windows, deadbolts, solid front door, fireplace spark arresters, etc.

If certain remodeling or redecorating is done there may be a requirement by the AHJ for 120-volt/battery-backup smokes. They may have to be interconnected. Your mileage will vary. Check with the AHJ.

In Berkeley, CA (a college town) a few years ago several students were killed in a private house. They rented rooms. There was no local requirement for rental rooms to have smoke detectors (it was a very old home). There is now a LOCAL ordinance that if you rent out rooms (or your whole place) that you have to add smoke detectors. The moral of this story: A six-pack of smokes is less than $70. Install them even if not required. Educate the tenants on their importance and make sure they replace the batteries once a year (and that they don't remove the batteries). Or, hardwire them in. Either way, it's good/cheap insurance against somebody getting hurt or dead. Make sure they have easy egress too in case of fire.

[ October 30, 2003, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: awwt ]

dmel11

Great feed back thank you and I believe that your correct when you talk about having one in each bed room and directly outside of each or in a common hallway the 120 volt and battery back up thing seems to be the issue know

ryan_618

Unless your city has an ordinace that requires rentals to be "brought up to code", you more than likely will not have to add any.

If you are doing any remodeling, smoke detectors are retro-active. You will need one in each sleeping room, directly outside of each sleeping room and one on each level.

bill addiss

Ryan,

I think it's quite likely that interconnected smoke dectors are required in many areas now when rental property changes hands. In my area I believe permits are required to make a rental 'legit' (even garage apartments) and a requirement is at least one (120v) smoke detector must be in each occupancy and they must be interconnected.

Bill

pierre

In New York State, there are the 'new' codes for us to follow and one of them is the Property Management Code. These Codes were explained to us Tuesday night by a State representative. The Property Management Code also pertains to dwellings and has the requirements for smoke detectors. These requirements are enforced whether or not the house is for sale, and are effective starting back in Jan of 2003.
The State rep told us that (these are the State's words, not mine) ALL dwellings are required to have smoke detectors installed. The requirement for existing homes that are not having any work done to them STILL requires the smoke detectors to be installed, and they in this instance can be battery smoke detectors.
If you are interested in the language used, I will post the language from the code.

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.