Duplex Receptacles- 2 screws or 4 screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

wag

There seems to be some rumblings as to whether to use all 4 screws on a duplex receptacle when connecting a number of them in a "feed thru" or "daisy chain" or to splice the wires leaving a pigtail and use only 2 screws. The NEC does not require splicing unless it is a "multiwire" branch circuit and then only for the neutral. The thinking seems to be that the break away tab between the adjacent screws will heat up and melt like a fuse. Surely NEMA an UL have allowed for this and I would guess UL has run heatrun tests on the receptacles and measured the temperature rise above ambient for the tab as well as the screw connections. I have been told that even 15Amp receptacles are rated for 20 Amp feed through.

I have never had to replace a receptacle because of a melted tab. My question is "How many of these melted tabs have you run across?".

peter d

This is a non-issue. The screws have always been allowed as a "feed through" connection. What you describe is just a rumor with absolutely no substantiation whatsoever.

celtic

Re: Duplex Receptacles- 2 screws or 4 screws

wag said:
The thinking seems to be that the break away tab between the adjacent screws will heat up and melt like a fuse.

No.
The thinking is that the neutral could return voltage to someone replacing an outlet in a MWBC...so the N gets "pigtailed" for safety.

wag said:
My question is "How many of these melted tabs have you run across?".

bikeindy

To me this is more a question af speed and quality work. I don't believe the feed through tab will melt like a fuse. I think it is much faster to pigtail on rough and then come in on the trim and get the receptacle in quickly. this also makes for good quality connections. I do as much on the rough in to set me up for success for finishing quickly on the trim. contractors seem to appreciate this. after all you know the problems you may have with pesky fixtures that will slow you down.

celtic

Personally, we pigtail everything. It may cost more upfront, but you save on the back end.

Before we even call for a rough inspection, we energize every circuit. Now we KNOW we have no shorts - if there is an issue it gets addressed immeadiatley. If a short should occur on trim out energizing, someone else has damaged our wires and THEY get to pay for the repair.

I also feel it is easier to connect 3 wires to a device and jam them into the box, rather than 5.
As an "upsell" I will try and have EACH counter/bath outlet on it's own GFI outlet for the same reason ~ jamming 5 wires and a GFI into a box is a PITA.

iwire

Staff member
If you 'load side' a GFCI receptacle you have 5 conductors that need to fold in with the receptacle.

If you use individual GFCIs at each location only 3 conductors will need to fold in with the receptacle.

Individual GFCIs at each point of use are a common job specification for us.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
iwire said:
celtic said:

You know my wife? :wink:
Why? Does she come from one of those mideastern regions where they serve pita bread with every meal? :wink:

(Just trying to give you a safe way out, in case she ever reads this thread.)

scwirenut

celtic said:
I also feel it is easier to connect 3 wires to a device and jam them into the box, rather than 5.
As an "upsell" I will try and have EACH counter/bath outlet on it's own GFI outlet for the same reason ~ jamming 5 wires and a GFI into a box is a PITA.

What about the kitchen counter tops, are we to believe there are no load connections from these GFCI's in your installation as well? if not, then someone knows how to effectively install 5 wires, if its tollorated in the kitchen, why not in the bath?..... I usually just install deep boxes where my GFCI device will be, In a small house ill put 2 or maybe even 3 bathroom recepts on a circuit (hallway, half baths,ect... no master)

Status
Not open for further replies.