DROP CORDS in Industrial Facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

missdella

I am having trouble finding where the code allows the use of Drop Cords the way we use them here in the plant I work at. I inherited this situation so I am trying to find where it tells me specifically how we can use these. Article 400.7(a)(6) is where it all started being use here but I am uncomfortable with the way we use it. The cords are 480 3 phase and from a bank of fused disconnects on one wall are fed to the other end of the 'room' via overhead conduit, then from a junction box at the end of the conduit run is spliced into SO cord and dropped with a wire mesh cord grip from the ceiling supporting members. The cord connector at the end of this hangs about 6 feet off the floor. The machines are plugged into these. There are several cords of varying voltages for different pieces of equipment. Few of them are ever actually moved in and out. Most of them stay in place for months or years. Are we stretching the permitted use a bit too far? And if not, is this otherwise properly constructed?

bphgravity

Re: DROP CORDS in Industrial Facility

The installation you describe does not appear to be non-compliant. Article 210.50(A) states the allowance for cord pendants. Article 400.10 requires the strain-relief on the cord.

The only issue that could come into question could be 400.8(2) if the cord is being run through a ceiling, and maybe the fact that the equipment served is not requiring frequent interchange or may not be listed for cord-and-plug connection. :)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

It seems as you may be ok. The cord can't be attached to the building. Its allowed to use portable cord for the connection of utilization equipment.

I appreciate your approach in looking up the code sections first and them asking for an opinion.

[ May 06, 2004, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: tom baker ]

missdella

Aahhhhhh. 210.50(A) That's the piece I was missing! Thank you so much. Now I'll have much less work to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.