Double poll breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdimase

A question was raised as to the proper use of a double pole breaker, for a single 120 circuit. In one of our machines a Square D 2 pole 30 amp breaker was installed, with only one leg used for the circuit. I do not know why they did this but they did. Square D literature says the breaker will trip on overload on either leg and mentions that if a 120 volt circuit is used to use the posts by the trip indicator. I am Just wondering if the NEC addresses this anywhere. Seems like this is legal to me.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Double poll breakers

Is this a listed machine? If so then the listing would account for the double pole breakers, if its shown on the drawings then it would be allowed. It may not be a NEC issue at all, as it depends on what the machine is.

rdimase

Not sure whether it is listed or not. The breaker is depicted in the drawings and the equipment is a US Postal Service mail processing machine. Runs letters through it for processing.

sparkmantoo

i don,t see anything wrong with it. it is a common trip breaker put in by the manufacturer. i see alot of this where i work but it is from machines built in europe. they use three pole brkrs for single phase feeds. it think it is a cost issue too.

templdl

If I understand you correctly a 2p common trip breaker was installed but one pole is only being used to feed a 120v load. If so there is no problem. A bit odd as a single pole would normaly be used but 1p of a 2p breaker will work just fine. Maybe they only had a 2p breaker available at the time of the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.