Don't control receptacle with smart switch?

Geber

Occupation
PE, retired electronics engineer
I recently installed a Leviton 2nd gen smart switch, model D215S. The "Getting Started Guide" that comes with it states, in the "Safety First!" section
  • TO AVOID FIRE, PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, DO NOT install to control a receptacle.
But many rooms control 1/2 of a duplex receptacle with a wall switch, and the occupant is expected to plug a lamp there to light the room. Why shouldn't you control such a receptacle with a smart switch? My guess is Leviton are thinking of receptacles in general, and are afraid of what might happen if someone plugs any old thing in to a receptacle and it comes on unexpectedly, perhaps after the occupant has left the room.

macmikeman

Cutting the voltage to motor appliances can start fires. That is why the code doesn't want dimmer's hooked up to receptacle outlets. There is no objection to merely switching a receptacle outlet on and off. It has been allowed for decades and decades.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I've seen heaters and ACs plugged into switched receptacles. With normal 15A rated switches controlling them there should be no problem. Apparently, Leviton designed that smart switch for only fixed lighting loads with minimal capacity enough to handle just that. Possibly with solid state switching instead of a real relay contacts.

-Hal

Geber

Occupation
I've seen heaters and ACs plugged into switched receptacles. With normal 15A rated switches controlling them there should be no problem. Apparently, Leviton designed that smart switch for only fixed lighting loads with minimal capacity enough to handle just that. Possibly with solid state switching instead of a real relay contacts.

-Hal
Ratings:

General Use 15 A, 120 V AC, 60 Hz
LED/CFL/Electronic Ballast 5 A
Magnetic Ballast 15 A
Motor 3/4 HP

I don't see a statement saying if the output is solid state or relay.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This switch has a 15 amp rating including up to 3/4 HP motors. I don't see any issue controlling a receptacle. I wonder if the guide is also covering the dimmer versions?

Geber

Occupation
This switch has a 15 amp rating including up to 3/4 HP motors. I don't see any issue controlling a receptacle. I wonder if the guide is also covering the dimmer versions?
Dimmers are not mentioned. The guide does not contain a list of specific models it applies to.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
My feeling is they are just issuing this warning because you will have no idea when and what can turn it on.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Ratings:

General Use 15 A, 120 V AC, 60 Hz
LED/CFL/Electronic Ballast 5 A
Magnetic Ballast 15 A
Motor 3/4 HP

I don't see a statement saying if the output is solid state or relay.

The current rating for "LED/CFL/Electronic Ballast" is 1/3 of the General Use and Magnetic ballast rating. To me that woud indicate that it's not capable of the surge current when turning on LED's etc. which have internal capacitors to filter the rectified AC.
As Don pointed out in the post linked below, AC-only general use snap switches do not have this limitation.

https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/snap-switch-rating.2573243/post-2822150

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
The old X-10 controlled outlets (which use a snap relay of some type) caution against using hot plates, toasters, coffee makers, and any other heating appliance, because if they switch on when you're not expecting them to they might burn anything you placed on top of the appliance.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The old X-10 controlled outlets (which use a snap relay of some type) caution against using hot plates, toasters, coffee makers, and any other heating appliance, because if they switch on when you're not expecting them to they might burn anything you placed on top of the appliance.
That's why controllers had "all units off" but only "all lights on."

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
That's why controllers had "all units off" but only "all lights on."
I never noticed that.
I still have 3 Radio Shack controllers doing daily duty.
2 controlling incandescent bulbs.
1 with appliance outlets, controlling big hi-fi amplifiers.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I never noticed that.
I still have 3 Radio Shack controllers doing daily duty.
2 controlling incandescent bulbs.
1 with appliance outlets, controlling big hi-fi amplifiers.
I have a Powerhouse clock/timer next to my bed, and a 4-channel in-wall controller in the bedroom door switch box, controlling four lights in my bedroom.

I see your occupation. Are your "big hi-fi amplifiers" by any chance tube amps?