Does OSHA have any back bone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Does OSHA have any back bone?

Mike, I don't guess there is any way around it, to read the article everyone will have to register.

Go here then click on "register now" in the upper right hand side of the page.

After you register you can click on one the links above.

Sorry about that.

Roger

jimwalker

easy to fix and free just fill out
Most papers are free online
Created fav place thanks for link

[ December 23, 2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Jim, your welcome. The article is disturbing though. OSHA is more than willing to bark, but doesn't seem to carry a bite.

Roger

ryan_618

I agree with Jim. When I was 16 one of the guys that I was a carpenter with got killed on the job. Like Jim said, you see them too late.

Once we did see them, however, the company cleaned up their act very quickly.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

We see them on a fairly regular basis in NC, but I never knew how weak they really are in a death case.

They will write someone up for a fine on every visit, and with the blatant disregard this company showed for OSHA, they obviously don't do much more than right fines.

Roger

jimwalker

I hope that family sues for millions.That might at least closed there doors.Fines or jail won't help this man now.The owner should face criminal charges

big john

I think we've all seen nonsense like that.

I worked a hospital job where the only thing the superintendant was concerned about was safety glasses. I saw a welder standing on the top of a twelve-foot step ladder on the edge of an eight story building, with no fall protection to speak of. Much like the article, I watched laborers work in a twenty-five foot trench adjacent to a building foundation; almost sheer walls and no shoring of any kind.

Instead of addressing those concerns we just had some fool running around sending people to the trailer for "time out" because they weren't wearing approved eye protection when bending pipe... :mad:

-John

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I want to know how this,
Yet having decided that Moeves Plumbing had again killed a worker by willfully violating safety laws, the Chicago office (OSHA) decided that the case did not warrant a significant penalty. It reduced the proposed fine from $101,500 to $90,000. It also considered and rejected seeking a Justice Department review for possible prosecution.
is done in any sane persons (or govenment entities) mind.

Roger

[ December 23, 2003, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

jimwalker

Why should they receive that money? it should go to the family.
And nothing stops the family from pushing the state attourney to prosicute.
Would maybe a 5 mil law suit put this company out of buisness, if not how much.Jurry trial might give them 50 mil

pierre

Roger
I read the entire article and it makes me sick, especially the photos. It would seem that the 'big' companies have laid the groundwork for all to follow with good attornies to get 'around' their problems with money and the fear of cost of litigation over time. If the article is true, it would seem only a miracle can cause the plumbing company any more problems.
Roger this shows how attornies who write the law can be circumvented by attornies who have more money!!
Even OSHA - which I thought had clout- is not immune to an intelligent attorney.

Pierre

brian john

IN our area the big jobs I work on all have safety officers (hired by the GC). These guys are tough hardhats, glasses, work boots, fall protection, GFCI’s, railings, back-up warnings ect I have been impressed.

OSHA does not drive this inforcment, their insurance companies are responsible.

Did work on the runway at Dulles airport and hardhats are required but ear protection was not. My hard had kept falling off and the safety office jumped in my face, threatening to throw me off the job. I could not hear him as a 747 was passing 100 feet away. I simply asked why I needed a hard hat when the only thing that would hurt me from above was getting hit by a wing, but hearing protection was not required. He told me that he did not make the rules only inforced them and I was to put on the hard hat or leave.

brian john

Jim:

Based upon what he article says, thanks to OSHA's wording the chance of assessing liability in this case is minimal. Shame, if this was a first time one could understand maybe? But twice plus the warnings this firm received, IMO they should be put out of business and other firms that put their employee's in harms way at the expense of safety should be put on notice that this fate will follow them.

I do not know how this woman Ms. Moeves: sleeps at night.

speedypetey

I read the article and feel the same as all of you.
I usually pick up the Sunday Times while I'm out and about. This article is part one of three; "When workers die". I for sure will be picking up the next few weeks of the Sunday Times.

One thing that is good about this article is that it is front page, above the fold. Amazing that this is getting this kind of coverage and exposure. This can only be a good thing for any of us working in the field.

brian john

As a contractor do you (everyone) furnish PPE, glasses, flame retardent clothing, good ladders, safe power tools?

Do you workers wear your PPE, safety clothing, glasses, ect., do you keep your equipment in good condition.

Contractor's should furnish everything to make an employee's job site safe but employee's have a duty to wear such equipment and keep it in safe operating condition. If equipment is broken it should be returned for repair not USED.

Status
Not open for further replies.