Do you have different personal & business cell numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt66electric

Home/business phone with a answering machine

Home/business phone with a answering machine

Since the advent of cellphones
we have disconnected our home landline but kept an newer "business line #" with a answering machine that gives an voice message that will direct customers to my business cellphone #.

The answering machine weeds out most all of the ROBO-calls ,,and,, the little-ole-lady customers can still get me on my cellphone.

All of my internet and yellow pages refer to the home/business landline #

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I'm about to drop that "home" number I was talking about in the last post before this thread got bumped.

So I just have the one number. I don't advertise, though. I am way too busy as it is from people that get my number from previous customers. I couldn't imagine having to answer or even ignore phone calls if I had the number printed on my van.

Maybe if I get more into the business aspect, get my master's license and pay other people to do the work I would be able to advertise. But then I'd have to make sure my employees did the work to my liking. And that scares me.

Several jurisdictions around here don't allow cell phone numbers as a primary means of communication from a licensing perspective. Some cell plans don't permit them to be used as commercial communications as well. The fine print on the service contract usually spells that out, but I know that Verizon Wireless didn't permit personal cell accounts (or land line ones) to be used for business purposes. Of course, they charge different rates for personal vs: business accounts. Im not sure if that has changed for cell accounts, but I know that it is still in place for land line ones.

We have a legitimate office with staff there anyway for answering calls, scheduling, billing, etc., so it isn't really a big deal to have land lines in place. I don't want customers to have my cell phone number, in fact I really don't like to call them from it because they will save my number and use it to circumvent having to schedule work through my office. I'm flattered that they'd like to speak with me directly, but it is hard to get anything done with these calls coming in all day. Even if they leave a message, that just cuts into my time in having to return calls when someone in my office could have easily answered their question in the first place.

KennethR

contractors license

contractors license

Because it will end up in a database somewhere." The FCC's official advice: "Be careful about giving out your mobile phone number, email address, or any other personal information."

Status
Not open for further replies.