Do push-in connections actually overheat?

kwired

Electron manager
Holy freggin' hell. Now I understand you all's posts. I did not take into consideration the way I wrapped the wire around the screw. My bad. The point was to show surface contact and I was trying to do it fast to get back to some other stuff. Opps. Bunch of jokers. LOL All good. :p

Dang it. It's too late to edit it above.

View attachment 2571439
Your picture is missing the contact surface on the bottom side, which in both types is much larger. Your image is just showing the means to put pressure on that other contact surface.

kwired

Electron manager
Stab type for sure; if by spring type you mean wire nuts, no, not looking for those. And I couldn't find engineering type drawings/diagrams of the different types of WAGOs. I assume the push-in are just like stab type, but I'm not sure about the lever type. Those look like they might have a whole lot more metal-to-metal contact area.
I think the WAGO's have a better spring than the push in connections of a switch or receptacle device has and are better connection than the switches/receptacles give you.

Bear in mind most the receptacles that have this feature are the lowest grade receptacles made, and we all know how well the contacts hold a cord cap within just a year or so if that receptacle is used often, the push in connectors are on the same assembly made of same metal as the plug contacts are.

kwired

Electron manager
I had an oops hooking up a .5 KVA transformer in my shop a few weeks ago.
24 volt secondary. I can verify that the insulation on the conductor smoked and not the lever lock connection.

Under normal usage I don't see an issue.
I did have an incident where a lever lock did not survive the fault current during a fault incident one time.

Don't know what the available fault current actually was but it was a pretty short run to the branch breaker and that panel was basically right next to the larger distribution panel so should been much higher there than if it were at some remote location in the plant. Drive rectifier was what failed and caused the fault.

kwired

Electron manager
I like these for wiring up lighting especially if I'm up on ladder trying to hold the light up while making up the connection.
Also great for temp lights.
same here. Has gotten to where I just use these on nearly all light fixtures anymore.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC
I trust wago style or push-in quick connects for any sort of small stranded to solid connection. I have never trusted wire nutting those, the fine strands on fixture wires don't hold up well to splicing.

Anything else I'm using linemans and a wire nut, where the wire nut is more for insulation as I've already fully spliced them prior to application.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I trust wago style or push-in quick connects for any sort of small stranded to solid connection. I have never trusted wire nutting those, the fine strands on fixture wires don't hold up well to splicing.

Anything else I'm using linemans and a wire nut, where the wire nut is more for insulation as I've already fully spliced them prior to application.

With "Push In" style ... sometimes when you remove the device, the wires will also pull out. Also, many times the installer(s) will uses the device as a junction and not "Pig Tail" them.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
Your picture is missing the contact surface on the bottom side, which in both types is much larger. Your image is just showing the means to put pressure on that other contact surface.
I negated the bottom contact surface on both images on purpose. They are both just flat pads so it should be approx the same for each instance.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I negated the bottom contact surface on both images on purpose. They are both just flat pads so it should be approx the same for each instance.
But the connection may depend entirely on this back surface with the screw or clip simply providing a holding/pressing force.

I believe the device style stab-in uses only two pinch points while the wire nut clamp style uses pressure against the conductor.

Last edited:

4x4dually

Occupation
I believe the device style stab-in uses only two pinch points while the wire nut clamp style uses pressure against the conductor.
Important to keep in mind here, I'm not debating the new lever lock Wago style. I have no issues with the levers, just the flipper-spring type. No way the metallurgy of a spring clamp can remotely compare to the clamping and holding force of a screw. Anyway, I'm no expert at anything, just adding to the conversation.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
Important to keep in mind here, I'm not debating the new lever lock Wago style. I have no issues with the levers, just the flipper-spring type. No way the metallurgy of a spring clamp can remotely compare to the clamping and holding force of a screw. Anyway, I'm no expert at anything, just adding to the conversation.
I am not talking about the lever style either.
Spring clamp designs have been successfully used for more than a few decades, in most plug-in breakers.

I remember, some 15 years ago, when I got my first Hoffman enclosure heater with push-in connections.

4x4dually

Occupation
Plus heat weakens the springiness, which leads to more heat, and the effect snowballs over time.
Another valid point.

I am not talking about the lever style either.
Spring clamp designs have been successfully used for more than a few decades, in most plug-in breakers.

I remember, some 15 years ago, when I got my first Hoffman enclosure heater with push-in connections.
Having been a desk-jocky engineer for the last 27 years and counting, I haven't seen a lot of spring type connections since I'm not out in the field installing devices all day like you all are. We design DOD, flights, and ISS equipment and it's ring lugs and torqued screws all the way here so I can't speak to what all brands use them and the longevity. It just seems like a failure waiting to happen to me.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
I remember old tandem QO breakers with push-in terminals.
But the QO bus connection is made with a type of spring clamp. CH, tan handle, breakers also use a clamp that has what looks like a helper spring.
Almost every 1" wide residential breaker uses a spring design to connect to the bus.
Even all receptacles use spring clamps for their plug connections.

Many specifications are passed down from one generation to the next, so we do things the way grandpa did. There was a time when spring style twist on wire nuts were not allowed, specs often called for set-screw style wire nuts with separate twist on insulator caps.

My point, is do not lump all push-in connections into the same basket.
Some are better than others.
And of course if it works why change it?

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I thought I posted this but don't see it. There was a member here that ran a test using push-in connectors (Wago. Ideal) and regular wirenuts.
He pushed several volts and high current through both. Both connectors held up except the plastic melted like the video above. Both connectors' metal parts held intact up to a very high voltage. The wirenut may have held a little longer than the push-in connectors. However the current/voltage was way above what would be ran through them normally.
His conclusion, the push-in held adequately as well as the wirenut for their listed current/voltage range.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
True, but bus stabs have much more contact area than a cylindrical conductor.
Each connection is designed for its purpose. It is totally possible to engineer clamps for limited wire sizes.
The breaker needs to exceed 100A, while a wire nut or control terminal may only need to handle 30A.

This is similar to the discussion of bolt-on versus plug-on breakers in panelboards.
Years of experience have shown properly terminated devices are not prone to failure.