disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You need some sort of disconnect to allow safe access to the inverter terminals and circuitry. Some inverters include a DC disconnect.
And under [2014] you need to have some sort of rapid shutdown within 10 feet of the array (slightly oversimplified).
PS: I hope the DC is going to the inverter, not coming from it. :)

Last edited:

DCFIT

well ive been installing an A/C disconnect . would it be best to install a second one between my inverter and my solar panels? thanks for the response. and yes my dc is coming from inverter up to my panels

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
well ive been installing an A/C disconnect . would it be best to install a second one between my inverter and my solar panels? thanks for the response. and yes my dc is coming from inverter up to my panels
Sorry to perhaps be pedantic, but although the wiring may go from the inverter up to the panels, the "DC" is normally considered to be traveling in the direction of the power, namely from panels to inverter. This is particularly important if you use a DC breaker as the disconnect since those are not always symmetric in terms of polarity and current direction.
The AC disconnect is different from most others in that power flows toward the side which remains energized when the disconnect is open.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.