Disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Keating

Occupation
Water Systems Technician ( Electrician )
A diesel fuel leak monitor is connected via 15A recepticle and and plug. if unplugged it transmits an alarm. The fire inspector would like it hard-wired. I feel it should be left as is so it can be serviced. It is located in a Hoffman enclosure and is only accesible to authorized personnel.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
John Keating said:
A diesel fuel leak monitor is connected via 15A recepticle and and plug. if unplugged it transmits an alarm. The fire inspector would like it hard-wired. I feel it should be left as is so it can be serviced. It is located in a Hoffman enclosure and is only accesible to authorized personnel.

We don't always get what we want. Ask him what code is violated by this arrangement.

Did the unit come with the plug, or was it added?

It is clearly utilization equipment that you would want to unplug periodically and take to the instrument shop for testing and calibration.

bobgorno

John Keating said:
A diesel fuel leak monitor ......

What kind of monitor? Leak detection cable? Level switch in a sump? Neither would need to be pluggable (Is that a word?) for service in that application I would think.

Bob G.

John Keating

Occupation
Water Systems Technician ( Electrician )
For clarification: The unit is a Omntec OLE 8000 leak / level detection monitor. It did not come with a plug. It was moved from inside of a building to a Hoffman enclosure. This was inspection contractor would not need to enter the building, for their monthly inspections. The cord and plug were added for servicing the controller.

bobgorno

2.1 CONTROLLER
The OEL8000II?s controller is mounted in a non-hazardous area and requires 100-240
VAC +/- 10%, 50/60 Hz, 60 watts. It can also be connected to a telephone line for remote
communication. It monitors all probes and sensors providing status and alarm information
on its LCD display or thermal printer.

Above is from the Omntec manual. It does not appear to be intended for use as a portable device. Remote annunciators are also for non-hazardous use. Inputs from level devices and leak detection devices appear to be intrinsically safe. Pay close attention to all aspects of the install requirements and NEC requirements for IS/non-IS installation. Don't expect the local inspector to know much about IS. I have seen some IS installations approved even though they shared a raceway with 480VAC.

To remove the controller for service you would still have to disconnect the field wiring, why not LOTO and disconnect the 120VAC supply also?

Bob G.

Status
Not open for further replies.