Disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

Art 690.13(C) in the 2017 code reads the supply side disconnect needs to be "listed as suitable for use as service equipment." I do not see that in the 2020 code. Also 230.82(6) in the 2020 says ..."if" provided with a disconnecting means listed as suitable for use as service equipment...
So my question is does a supply side disco no longer need to be service rated. Thanks

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
My first inclination is to simply say: Forget what the code says, don't be stupid, and just put in a service rated disconnect. You don't want the thing to blow up in a fault because it's not service rated. Of course any equipment that's connected directly to the service should be service rated. Physics does not give a --- what the code says and the product standard for service rated equipment is what we rely on to provide safe equipment here.

All that said: Yes, the requirement was essentially moved from 690.13 to 230.82(6). Also for what it's worth in the 2023 NEC this is re-iterated in 705.11 which refers back to 230 Parts VI thru VII.

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
My reading of 2020 230.82(6) is that a PV system can be supply-side interconnected if it has a disconnect that is listed for service and has OCPD.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
My reading of 2020 230.82(6) is that a PV system can be supply-side interconnected if it has a disconnect that is listed for service and has OCPD.
Yes, but it was made further complicated by 230.46 which was deadlined to take effect on 1/1/2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.