Disconecting means location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Link to original posting entitled "Disconnecting means question."
I would like some help in sorting out the issues involved in a post taken from the IAEI bulletin board.

Feeder Disconnect 1999 NEC 225-31 & 32 There is a single family residence building (R3). There is a triangular shaped "service yard" (applicants designation) adjacent to the residence. The service yard does not have a roof. One wall of the "service yard" is a common wall with the residence. One wall retains an embankment. One wall has a pair of gates in it to provide access into the "service yard". There is a 2400/240 volt transformer in the "service yard". The 240 volts feeds a panel with a main breaker in the residence which is suitable for use as service equipment.

Would the residence and the "service yard" be considered one structure?

Would the "service yard" be considered a separate structure?

Would the "service yard" not be considered to be either a structure or part of the residence building?

Would a disconnecting means for the feeder, on the line side of the transformer be required per 1999 NEC 225-31?
"225-31. Disconnecting Means
Means shall be provided for disconnecting all ungrounded conductors that supply or pass through the building or structure.
225-32. Location
The disconnecting means shall be installed either inside or outside of the building or structure served or where the conductors pass through the building or structure. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors. For the purposes of this section, the requirements in Section 230-6 shall be permitted to be utilized." COPYRIGHT 1999 National Fire Protection Association.

The OP seems to believe that an exterior disconnect is required in spite of the listed service equipment at which the feeder or service conductors terminate. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this application. You guys have helped me a lot in the past so I'm returning to the well again. Thank you in advance for any insights you have to offer.
--
Tom

[ January 12, 2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: hornetd ]

Status
Not open for further replies.