dining room

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

I have a small addtion of a dwelling to wire and it is a dining room. If I am understanding 210-52 (99) correctly I have to wire the plugs with a 20a circ. and I can not put the light on it.

bphgravity

Re: dining room

That is correct, or you can serve the receptacles in the new dining room off one of the two existing small appliance branch circuits if you wish. The lighting can be picked up from any general use circuit or a new circuit on its own. :)

macmikeman

The dining room receptacle outlets need to be served by a minimum of 2 20 amp circuits, which could be taken from the 2 small appliance branch kitchen counter branch circuits.

pierre

The dining room is not required to be wired to more than one of the small appliance branch circuits, although it can be. As a matter of fact I hear that some people require the kitchen countertop to have alternating circuits for the receptacles that serve the countertop, that is not required, but not a bad idea.

Pierre

megawire

Pierre, the phone rang and you beat me to it. I was just about to second dnbob's post. Nothing in the code requires two Appl. Brch. Cirs. I make it a habit to have my guys install one receptacle on the adjacent kitchen wall to the dining room (seems more practical,considering potential usage).

luke warmwater

Originally posted by pierre:
I hear that some people require the kitchen countertop to have alternating circuits for the receptacles that serve the countertop, that is not required, but not a bad idea.

Pierre
Pierre, that's how it is in one certain county in Maryland that we sometimes work. We call it 'leapfrogging'
I have contimplated this design issue and have come to the conclusion, not to try to second guess where the wife is going to sit the small appliances, so we normally wire as normal unless code is ammended.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

The required receptacles in the dinning room must be on a 20 amp small appliance branch circuit. They can be on either or both of the two required kitchen small appliance branch circuits, or they can be on one or more additional 20 amp small appliance branch circuits.
Don

macmikeman

Not to try to be arguementive Don and others but 2002 NEC 210.11 (c)(1) and 210.52(B)(1) require 2 20 amp circuits for dining rooms,pantry,breakfast room, and kitchen.

charlie

You are absolutely correct. You may extend the two small appliance branch circuits to pick up those rooms or run additional 20 ampere small appliance branch circuits for those areas. :D

jes25

Much discussion.....simple topic

I was kinda hoping I could put the light on it since there already is 2 20a circs in the kitchen and the dining room is small and I highly doubt it will ever have any heating/cooking equp. on it the way it is set up. No such luck though. :)

macmikeman

I know it seems overkill since not too many people sit around the dining room table with two toasters going at the same time any longer. (you gotta be really old to remember those days.). But it is still code so it must be followed.

paul32

It doesn't say 2 circuits for EACH of dining room, kitchen, etc, so one of the 2 or more small appliance circuits can serve the dining room.

jimwalker

I often try to pick up a dining room circuit first on each of the 2 required kitchen counter recept but it is my option to use only 1 or even a seperate circuit for dining but no lights permitted on it

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Just a thought.With the way we now can calculate # of circuits by sq. footage.Does this also apply to SA/Dining/Nook recps.I`ve done some pretty big homes and if that is so there would have been allot of peceps on those 2 circuits.That`s if I wanted to wire it that way.Being allowed by code :confused:

ryan_618

1500 VA per circuit is all that the code says for the SA circuits. That is under feeder and service calculations however, and therefore wouldn't apply to branch circuits.

[ June 15, 2004, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

macmikeman

For Paul: I never said you have to run 2 20 a circuits to each room but that it does say the dining room needs to be fed from the 2 sa circuits or if you like you can run optional extra 20 a circuits, but it does specify 2 circuits. Read it again fella's.

paul32

Originally posted by macmikeman:
The dining room receptacle outlets need to be served by a minimum of 2 20 amp circuits, which could be taken from the 2 small appliance branch kitchen counter branch circuits.
Sorry, to me this says two circuits for the dining room. :)

I think it is common to have only the two circuits total with a dining room. My house has the dining room and fridge on a circuit with part of the kitchen and the rest of the kitchen on its own. I would put the dining room on its own separate from the two in the kitchen, and put the fridge on its own 15A.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

macmikeman,
The 2 or more 20 amp small applicance branch cirucits are to supply all of the receptacles in the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit. The only location within these areas that specifically requires the use of 2 circuits in one area is the kitchen counter top receptacles. There is no requirement that the other areas be served by multiple circuits.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.