Dieless crimping tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of this? Have you seen any issues with this?

The compression will be adequate, but it has some shortcomings, when compared to types that form a prefect hexagonal crimp, that may cause problems on the long run. The hexagonal crimp uniformly deforms all strands of the conductors and cause them to literally 'cold-weld' to each other. The dieless will do this in a haphazard form, therefore the current carrying will not occur uniformly and there will be a varying thermal profile across the entire conductor. The unfused intercieses between the strands give potential to oxidation to creep in, resulting in connection integrity issues.

To put it in perspective:

Resultant failure would be rare, but not unseen. An improperly made die connection would have a higher potential to fail than a properly made dieless one.

beavis2

The compression will be adequate, but it has some shortcomings, when compared to types that form a prefect hexagonal crimp, that may cause problems on the long run. The hexagonal crimp uniformly deforms all strands of the conductors and cause them to literally 'cold-weld' to each other. The dieless will do this in a haphazard form, therefore the current carrying will not occur uniformly and there will be a varying thermal profile across the entire conductor. The unfused intercieses between the strands give potential to oxidation to creep in, resulting in connection integrity issues.

Resultant failure would be rare, but not unseen. An improperly made die connection would have a higher potential to fail than a properly made dieless one.

weressl, you sound like you speak from experience. Have you seen micrograph photos comparing a crimp using a hexagonal die and a 4 point dieless ?

I'm interested in this question because I'm in the market for a hydraulic crimper capable of 6 AWG - 500 MCM. I was favoring dieless because of the simplicity of not having dies and from my experience and understanding of circular indent crimpers in the world of 32-8 AWG.

After reading your post I'm now thinking that a dieless crimp regardless of size depends on the lug, contact, terminal etc. to contain the conductor ( solid or stranded ) while the indents deform creating the localized cold-flow. Pressures are constrained and cold-flow limited because this kind of crimp relies on the inherent strength of lug to prevent deformation in areas other than the indents. Conversely, I now see a die much more capable of creating cold-flow throughout its entire cross-section because it can bring a much larger intended pressure to bear on the lug. Is this correct ?

Sven

Power Tech

Just did some 3M load break elbows 4160V. They require a hex crimp.

weressl, you sound like you speak from experience. Have you seen micrograph photos comparing a crimp using a hexagonal die and a 4 point dieless ?

I'm interested in this question because I'm in the market for a hydraulic crimper capable of 6 AWG - 500 MCM. I was favoring dieless because of the simplicity of not having dies and from my experience and understanding of circular indent crimpers in the world of 32-8 AWG.

After reading your post I'm now thinking that a dieless crimp regardless of size depends on the lug, contact, terminal etc. to contain the conductor ( solid or stranded ) while the indents deform creating the localized cold-flow. Pressures are constrained and cold-flow limited because this kind of crimp relies on the inherent strength of lug to prevent deformation in areas other than the indents. Conversely, I now see a die much more capable of creating cold-flow throughout its entire cross-section because it can bring a much larger intended pressure to bear on the lug. Is this correct ?

Sven
As I indicated in my previous reply, IMO, the hexagonal crimp is superior to the die less tool. Both should be expected to perform well, but I would expect the die-crimp to withstand more extreme circumstances, last longer under corrosion attack, less prone to develop thermal problems, etc.

The microscopic photo enlargements of comparative connections are usually provided by one party, who has a stake in the matter, so should be taken with rock-salt. However, it makes sense that the die-connection provides a more uniform pressure all throughout the cross-section of the connection, therefore also provide uniform resistance that equalizes current distribution and minimizes hot-spots. It also minimizes the surface area exposed to the atmosphere, reducing exposure to corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.