Diamond core bit method/ exhaust fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

tld38

Hi to all! Question: I need to install an exhaust fan for bathroom, second floor, about 30, off of ground. Can I use a diamond core bit when drilling off a ladder with, for example, an angle grinder? I am not sure if I need to have a water tank to keep the bit wet. I am just concerned as I am going to be off the ground on an extension ladder. I have used core bits for block walls( CMU) and use dry, no problem. I am just looking for some suggestions as to my options here. I have used the DD 130 HILTI wet core system on jobs, but this is a house, and I would not want to take something like that on a ladder up 30,. I have also heard that I could make a circle, and drill many holes around the circle, that way. I want to buy the Diamond core bit, at least that is what I think I need, to drill this hole. I am just looking for some suggestions before I purchase anything. My main concern is not blowing out the hole, and creating a bigger hole that I have to patch. As always, I,m grateful for member,s support on this forum. Thanks!

Smart $

Esteemed Member
IMO freehand core drilling on an extension ladder is an unsafe operation unless the ladder is tied off, you have adequate fall protection, and additionally have a short positioning lanyard which prevents you from pushing yourself off the ladder while applying pressure to the drill rig. Scaffold is a better option.

I prefer wet drilling, but if containment and cleanup is an issue, dry it is... but then you have to contend with dust if inside a finished building.

To eliminate the potential for sprawling, drill from both sides. The difficulty when doing freehand is alignment. Drilling a small through hole will help with referencing. Another option is to attach or brace a solid substrate (e.g. 2x lumber) to the far side. If core drilling with a pilot, hole saw the same size hole in a 2x and attach or brace to hole location. Attach aids will likely require patchwork, but usually a lot easier and less conspicuous than patching misalignments or sprawls.

Status
Not open for further replies.