Device tripping gfci

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Are you seriously that insecure that you have to puff your feathers and criticize someone just trying to get a little guidance...

Everything you have said has been obvious information and has not been helpful to my question so I'd thank you for not bothering with anymore "help."

It's pretty sad that someone can't get on here and ask a legitimate question to learn something without being criticized. I'll consider this an isolated incident, and that your just a jerk. If I can't get on hear to legitimately try to learn and figure something out without negativity then what good is this site?
You keep mentioning continuity between hot and neutral which leads one to question how well your theory understanding is, particluarly on how GFCI's work and what makes them trip. Continuity from hot to neutral is a normal condition that won't trip a GFCI. He maybe could have pointed that out a little differently but knowing how that member generally treats others - it was not an intentional attack on your character.

Measuring hot to neutral continuity has little or no real value with troubleshooting GFCI's, you need to find neutral to ground or hot to ground continuity to be able to confirm where the issue is. Sometimes it takes a megger to find those issues as well. Your standard DMM only puts out maybe a 9 volt test signal - where the normal operating voltage is 120 AC with peak voltages on the sine wave of about 170. A 9 volt test signal may not always find a fault that this 170 volts can easily push some current through.

Status
Not open for further replies.