Detached garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith gigabyte

Just looked at wiring a detached garage. Going to look things up tonight, but I remember needing a ground rid at the garage. Any input to detached garage situations would be appreciated.

conditions: detached new construction garage 24x24 cement pad 15 feet from house plan to feed with one 2pole 50 amp with 6 ckt panel in garage underground pvc sch 40

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
250.32 requires a grounding electrode system at any detached structure fed by a feeder.
Not necessarily a ground ring, but any of the 250.52 electrodes.

jumper

You need a GES at garage.

250.32 Buildings or Structures Supplied by a Feeder(s)
or Branch Circuit(s).
(A) Grounding Electrode. Building(s) or structure(s) supplied
by feeder(s) or branch circuit(s) shall have a grounding
electrode or grounding electrode system installed in
accordance with Part III of Article 250. The grounding
electrode conductor(s) shall be connected in accordance
with 250.32(B) or (C). Where there is no existing grounding
electrode, the grounding electrode(s) required in 250.50
shall be installed.

Edit: Gus was quicker.

keith gigabyte

So pull ground from house and additional rod at garage or just rod at garage for equipment grounding. I have read 250 al least 100 times and am still foggy on intent of grounding at garage... Create equipotentail ground? No step potential if garage fault occurs?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As of the 2005 or 2008, an equipment grounding conductor must be installed with your feeder.
Eq ground bar is connected to your grounding electrode (if you use only a rod, two are probably necessary). Neutral remains isolated,

Occupation
Inspector
As of the 2005 or 2008, an equipment grounding conductor must be installed with your feeder.
Eq ground bar is connected to your grounding electrode (if you use only a rod, two are probably necessary). Neutral remains isolated,

Correct me if I'm wrong, a Ground Rod or 2 will NOT clear a fault and cannot be used alone for Grounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.