Dental chair recepticle

Status
Not open for further replies.

patc

Should the recept. which a dental chair plugs into be GFI protected? I recently read the costruction specs for a chair which actually incorporated GFI protection in the chair wiring from the factory. Any feedback?

laidman

Re: Dental chair recepticle

A dental chair is a patient care area and should be treated as such including redundent grounding and hospital grade devices in the area.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Laidman, redundant grounding yes, HG receptacles are a good idea but not required.

A chair that is classified by the AHJ as being in a "Critical Care Area" i.e. Maliofacial Surgery would require HG recepts.

See 517.18(B) and 517.19(B)(2) "Patient Bed Location Receptacles" and the definition of "Patient Bed Location"

Roger

radiopet

The issue on a GFCI in a dentists office may fall under Article 517-20

Now the factors are if the isolated ground is in the same raceway and so on...as well as if their is a basin in the exam room where the dentists chair is...would be a AHJ call I guess....

However, what about the fact most dentists chairs have a RINSE basin and water supplied to the actual chair assembly.....then I personally would think GFCI is something to look at.

shawn474

Originally posted by roger:
Laidman, redundant grounding yes, HG receptacles are a good idea but not required.

A chair that is classified by the AHJ as being in a "Critical Care Area" i.e. Maliofacial Surgery would require HG recepts.

See 517.18(B) and 517.19(B)(2) "Patient Bed Location Receptacles" and the definition of "Patient Bed Location"

Roger
Roger I recently wired some dental chairs that had hospital grade cords to plug into my redundantly grounded receptacles. ;) According to the equipment supplier (Sullivan-Schein) h.g. cords are the norm for dental chairs now.(but that is his word,he could be mistaken) My biggest problem was Walker apparently does not make a cover for their 880-881 (metal) floor boxes for a single receptacle,which to me is rather dumb.AHJ allowed me to use duplex,I didn't like it because there is no 'shroud' over the receptacle on this style of chair which could allow something else to be plugged into the duplex. (which is on a dedicated circuit for the chair only) Patc,check your cord and your specs,you will find the answer there.

Status
Not open for further replies.