Delta to Wye Transformer Grounded Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcheser

Installing a 13.8kv to 480Y/277 transformer, the neutral on the secondary is not needed and was planning to ground the neutral at the transformer. Was only going to pull L1, L2, L3 and ground from the transformer to 480v, 3-wire switchboard. Was told according to Article 250.24(C) I have to bring the neutral in and ground it. I don't believe this to be correct can anyone confirm?

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Installing a 13.8kv to 480Y/277 transformer, the neutral on the secondary is not needed and was planning to ground the neutral at the transformer. Was only going to pull L1, L2, L3 and ground from the transformer to 480v, 3-wire switchboard. Was told according to Article 250.24(C) I have to bring the neutral in and ground it. I don't believe this to be correct can anyone confirm?
I would otherwise you would have a floating neutral.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
13.8kV Utility feed to pad mount transformer primary, 480V to main switchgear. switchgear is 3-phase, 3-wire and the neutral would be grounded at the transformer.
Is the service point on the primary or secondary of that transformer? If it is on the secondary than you are required to bring the neutral to the service equipment.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Typically for a utility service, where its secondary metered, 3 phase, you would run 3 ungrounded and the neutral to the main disconnect and install the SBJ there. If you bond the neutral at the transformer, how will fault current return to the transformer in a line to case fault? You did not mention an EGC from transformer to service.

dcheser

Is the service point on the primary or secondary of that transformer? If it is on the secondary than you are required to bring the neutral to the service equipment.
Transformer is customer owned so service point and metering is on the primary side of the transformer

Just a thought: If 250.30(A)(1) exception 2 applies (allows bonding on both ends, bond the switchboard to neutral like a service), you can run a neutral instead of an SSBJ to the switchboard, then you will have a neutral there if by chance you ever need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.