Cutting EMT with tubing cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjansen

Re: Cutting EMT with tubing cutter

Hey Rog I sense a little sarcasm. It has nothing to do with me being an expert- (thanks for the compliment by the way)... I was just expressing my opinion that I think a lot of people think that the code book is an instruction manual on how to do your job, and really have no sense of what it is for.

torint

I have used a pipe cutter on several occasions and it has worked fine I will continue to use it.... sometimes on small jobs I just don't bring out the power tools and I don't have Popeye type arms but I do have a whimpie type belly....mmmm I love "sliders". :D

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation

Thanks Rodger, Let me start by saying that I've been doing electrical work for quite some time. I've seen it done the right way and the wrong way.The reason I started this thread is that I inherited this project and someone had used a tubing cutter. Like bjansen said you could use a rock. So long as the conduit is reamed properly. I in my 20yrs in this trade have only seen one person use a tubing cutter and the forman told him not to use it for reasons that are expressed here.I myself woud prefer to use pre-cut,bent and reamed conduit, I would also like to see in the code the banning of tubing cutters and rocks.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

bjansen,
I was just expressing my opinion that I think a lot of people think that the code book is an instruction manual on how to do your job, and really have no sense of what it is for.
how does this relate to a tool being allowed or not?

The code specifically addresses the issue of bending equipment being identified for the purpose so why would cutting methods be so far fetched?

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

bjansen, I simply asked a couple of questions which you haven't answered. This is becoming a habit with you, you were asked to provide back up to your statements here and here

The best you could come up with for these requests was this.
posted April 05, 2004 11:14 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a good friend who is on Code Panel #3. The decision was made in the comments stage at the December San Diego meetings. It will be finalized in May in Salt Lake City.
After this outstanding post of yours, the panels action on this (which pretty much contradicted your matter of fact statement) was posted by another person.

I must say I feel a little cheated with the following statement
Give it up, your argument is embarrassing.
I mean I don't even get a "I've got a good friend" thrown in. :D

Roger

[ April 22, 2004, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

iwire

Staff member

Roger did you hear that they are taking smoke detectors off of AFCIs for 2005?

[ April 22, 2004, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Bob, i heard something to that effect from a frien.... OH, nevermind. ;)

Roger

russ

I don't use a tube cutter myself, I prefer a hacksaw. I do know some guys that do use tube cutters and they have the knack for it. They have shown me their cuts and they seem to cut the conduit (1/2 inch is all I've seen them do) with out indenting it. They seem to score it and snap it.
As for power tools, when you're flatting a building that could be a lot to carry around.
I will admit to using the bandsaw on thin wall on some occasions.

fbhwt

Occupation

All, I thank you for your input. I was in a hurry when I sent my last post, getting ready for work, What I meant to say was, the reason I started this thread was because I inherited this project and someone had used a tubing cutter. The problem is that it was not reamed properly.Now I have to check each cut. With all the changes that are made to the code I was not 100% certain that there was something that prohibited the use of a tubing cutter.I just wanted some feedback from people who have dealt with the same issue. I do not think that the code is a "How to book" but a tool, unlike a "rock" which some people may use to cut conduit. Again,thanks for the replies.

bennie

Esteemed Member

I feel this subject is an excellent example of the old cliche; "The end justifies the means"

Forget using a rock, it is extremely difficult. I prefer beating myself with chains.

Does a plumber need an approved cord for cutting ABS pipe?

Ed MacLaren

I feel this subject is an excellent example of the old cliche; "The end justifies the means"
This thread reminded me of this new guy that the office sent out to a job that I was in charge of, back in the 50's.

You had to keep an eye on a new guy for a few days, to see if he really was an electrician.
In the fall, after the crops were harvested, some of the farmers would grab a few tools and head for town, to see if they could get hired on the construction sites. You could usually spot the legitimate electricians when you got a look at their tool kits. (Beware of a guy with all brand new tools) :eek:

Anyway, this guy had his own way of stripping AC cable. He would grab it in both hands and bend the cable 180 degrees until the armor opened up, cut the armor with diagonal cutters, pull it off, and then try to trim up the sharp edges with the diagonals.

Couldn't get him to do it properly, and finally had to get rid of him.

Ed

iwire

Staff member

Ed that method is showing up on the job again, I guess your guy was ahead of the curve. :roll:

Someone is making a specialized pair of cutters just for stripping AC and MC as you describe.

I still use a hack saw a lot of times or the new fangled Roto splits.

msd

No pipe cutters on my jobs! Hacksaw only for EMT less than 2". Also manditory "file" to clean up ends over 1"

I require my employees to use a hachsaw. If you have ever used a pipe cutter you know why. It is just plane bad workmanship as far as I am concerned, brought about by being too lazy to use the proper tool.

Usually the guy you see using a pipe cutter is the same guy who dosen't use a roto-split. No room on my team for player like that

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I worked a job once where the person installing the EMT had used a tubing cutter and not reamed the inside. I had to take it all down, ream it and reinstall.

shocker3218

I also have had to remove all conduit and ream the ends because previous contractor had cut with tubing cutter. Let the plumbers use plumbing tools, and we should use our tools. What next? Do we take our 2 inch conduit to the exhaust shop to have it bent? if you have ever had to replace a skinned wire in a conduit run, you become very careful about reaming.

[ April 22, 2004, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: shocker3218 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.