Cutting EMT with tubing cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
I can't find anything in the code that says you can't use a tubing cutter and I'm sure its ok so long as you ream it properly. What are your thoughts on using a tubing cutter versus a hacksaw?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Cutting EMT with tubing cutter

You can cut it with anything you like as long as you comply with 358.28. However, if I were an inspector and knew the conduit was cut with a tubing cutter, I would make the installer show me a number of cut ends so I could verify the installation was done correctly.

Roger

[ April 21, 2004, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

ryan_618

I always preferred a hacksaw, as I think they are faster.

I agree with Roger, I would put my finger in a few pipes if I were inspecting the job.

iwire

Staff member

When we run rigid we use a pipe cutter.

That is because the pipe cutter is part of the threading machine, along with a reamer.

It makes it real easy, clamp, cut, ream, thread, done. :D

I can not imaging using a pipe cutter on EMT, I will cut through it with a hack saw faster. ;)

bphgravity

I've noticed tubing cutters crimp in the conduit during the cut which quite effectively reduces the overall circumference. Even if you ream it out to smooth the edge, it doesnt take out the crimp. I don't think it is much of an issue, but could be a concern on tight conduit fill installations. :)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

A hacksaw is faster. Get one of the Klien conduit reamer screwdrivers, it deburrs the inside and outside of the cut EMT. A tubing cutter leaves a bigger ridge and is harder to remove.

ryan_618

I will make one confession though...the only time in my life I've ever had stiches was from cutting 3/4" EMT with a hacksaw. You know, when you finally cut through the pipe and the knuckles of your right hand puch the piece of pipe that you just cut. :(

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Todd and Bob, I guess the hacksaw was why us old electricians had Popeye looking arms. :D

Ryan, I can relate, but I've done the same thing on PVC.

Roger

drg

I cut a bunch of EMT with a panasonic cordless cicular saw and carbide tooth saw blade, they were supports for can lights in the ceiling tiles and they came out real good.
I do not know if sawing these with a cicular saw is not recommended but "no one complained" when I did it , must have cut dozens of sections and they were easy to de-burr also, goes through them like a hot knife through butter.

John

[ April 21, 2004, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: drg ]

hurk27

By Ryan: I would put my finger in a few pipes if I were inspecting the job.
I did this and about cut my finger off. It wasn't that there was a sharp ridge left inside to pipe but the fact that when it first cut into me I jerked my finger and then it realy cut into it. :eek:

peter

There is one good reason for using a tubing cutter and that is when there are already wires in the conduit. This doesn't happen often but it does eleiminate the risk of cutting the insulation.
There is supposed to be a trick to it. If you cut to a certain extent, then you can snap off the pipe and it won't be "crimped". The plumbers and machinists have a deburring tool such as Vargus or "Shaviv". It's a handle with a litle hook shaped blade that swivels.
One thing a tubing cutter is also good for, is it gives you a nice 90? line if you believe in such precision.
~Peter

apauling

luke: I tried all the cordless sawzalls, I have three now: 18 v Riobi, 18 v Mil, 24 v Bosch. The 18 v Mil is the best by far for cutting small emt.

paul

macmikeman

If I am going to be on any one pipe job for more than 1 or 2 days, I have found it speeds things up to bring along a rigid tripod vise, and a milwak porta band saw. Locking down the conduit and working while standing seems to be faster and less tiring than using a hacksaw and bending down to lets say an upturned 5 gal bucket or one of those tool boxes with the pipe groove in the handle.

bjansen

i can't believe someone is looking in a code book for a tool to cut conduit. you could cut it with a rock if you want. sometimes i wonder what people think is in the book......

fbhwt

Occupation

bjansen, what I think is in the code is information, your right you could use a rock, but it would be very hard to ream.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Fbhwt, don't worry about it, we can't all be experts like some people are.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.