Cutting conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

eswets

Re: Cutting conduit

The Tubing cutter if used correctly or reamed, does not narrow the pipe to where you can notice it or when you pull wire through it. If you put a connector on the end, and run your finger on the inside you will not feel any restrictions or reductions. I think it is much faster and easier.

Unibits work great in reaming the pipe, my worker taught me that trick a couple of months ago, I lost my tubing cutter and had to use a hacksaw for the day, and having to ream every time with pliers or file was no fun. I use the bit and it worked great. Just don't push too hard, it will expand the pipe and the connector won't fit on.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by midget:
You can't cut rigid with a cordless? Hmm..
Well you can but you better have a few batteries on hand if you are cutting 4" RMC. :D

what about a string to cut PVC?
If you have to cut PVC in a trench string is a good option. Just wrap the string around the back side of the PVC and start 'sawing'.

I usually use Greenlee poly pull sting as that is on hand, you may break it a couple of times before you get through the PVC.

midget

Okay, I'm a bit confused. :p You guys keep talking about cutting conduit with wires in it--why? I mean, if you did, how would you get more conduit into the section you cut out to cover that wire? :confused:

jimwalker

Midget,sometimes we need to add a junction box or something or perhaps the wire was pulled before our panel,disconnect or whatever was available and the conduit needs to be shortened.

tkb

I just stumbled on this emt cutter and reamer.
I never used one, just pasing on the info.

web page

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

I like the appearance reamer. The lever release looks like it would be quick.

indcom

While the tubing cutter is a valued tool in tight places, I've always used a hacksaw, power saws-all, or porta-band saw for the cutting of conduit whether its' EMT, Rigid, or PVC.
I brace the shorter end across my knee on sizes 1 1/4" & smaller or use the tail gate on my truck or my ladder as a brace. Now if I'm shortening a piece of 1" or less EMT that's already 24" long to a shorter length, I'll use the holes in my benders to help out as a brace.
It just seems to me that setting up all the extra equipments takes time away from doing the job & burning manhours. Using a tubing cutter is also time consuming & you're risking not cleaning the burring out completely. The square cut of the tubing cutter is great - but I can still do that with my trusty hacksaw & have it de-burred/cleaned faster than you can with a tubing cutter and reamer.

[ January 02, 2005, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: indcom ]

bigjohn67

Insert your conduit 1/2" 3/4" thru the holes of your bender and apply pressure. They make a very good vise for cutting conduit with a hacksaw.

Tip: Use the full 12" of the blade and not 2" of it.

sandsnow

I just ream with a pair of dykes.
Sorry, you can't say the d word anymore, not politically correct :p

I really like the idea about the unibits

We had game once on how fast we could cut EMT. We had it down to a 18T blade and 3 passes I think.

midget

Some of the bender's I've seen don't have holes in them. Is the hole really there for you to hold conduit in to cut it? Every since learning to cut that way, I've wondered that. :D

highkvoltage

That fancy pipe cutter is $249.00. Not worth it in my opinion. I love the unibit idea, and will try that on my next conduit job. :)

Here in the Chicago area the ONLY thing that we can install is conduit. NM IS NOT ALLOWED!!!! While the majority of the time a hacksaw, or other power saw, is used a tubing cutter is something that one almost cannot live without. Especially for remodelling work. The easiest way to use a tubing cutter is to cut most of the way through and then "snap" the pipe to avoid a sharp burr. If that doesn't work then you simply clean the burr out..............its not that hard nor does it take that much time.

midget

Speaking of MC, AC, and FMC, how do you cut that stuff...I cut some with a hacksaw once...and geez. :p It didn't work the greatest. :p And what's the difference Between AC and MC? I still don't really understand that.

[ January 04, 2005, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: midget ]

drg

"Do not use" your dikes to cut ac -mc- or fmc.

A simple hacksaw used properly will cut these all with unsurpassed results.
Roto-splits and other tools are not required to properly cut any of theses flex conduits , find a skilled electrican and he will show you first hand, trust me.

Dont get fooled that usings dikes to cut these conduits is ok, its not.

[ January 04, 2005, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: drg ]

midget

I tried to clean up the end of a piece with my dykes once, and they got like stuck on there...so I figured since they wouldn't work to cut off just a little sharp piece on the end--I can't even get my dykes around the diameter of FMC. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.