Customer with Electric bill 50% higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

patricknola

Electrical contractor/Generac Dealer
Occupation
Electrical contractor.
Hey guys, I have a customer who wants me to do an inspection on his property. He is saying his Electric bill is on the average 50-60 % higher each month than it was a year ago. He wants me to try to figure out what the problem is. Any tips on some of the things I should be on the lookout for or check? Thanks in advance. Patrick's Electric.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
One candidate is a ground fault (actual earth) on a high current outdoor circuit which does not draw enough current to trip the OCPD.
Also look closely at electric air and water heating for setting problems.
Other no-brainer is a change in usage patterns.
Or a neighbor running an extension cord to an outdoor outlet.

d0nut

It may not be anything on the customer end. It could be an old mechanical meter that got replaced and the new meter is more accurate (although +50% seems unlikely), or changes to a utility rate structure.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
i would ask to see the old usage amounts myself, rather than trusting a 'snapshot' of time. You might be able to see when their rates jumped, or if it has been a gradual change.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Depends on what double is. One customer noticed right away when her bill went up. The well pipe had developed a leak so the pump ran continuously.

Another had electric heat in an unheated crawlspace with the access door off to the blower. They were trying to heat 30 degree air instead of 65 degree.

Heating elements that have broken and welded itself to the enclosure.

kwired

Electron manager
First thing to look at is their bills. As mentioned compare actual usage, if it has gone up by ~50% then maybe it is time to look at where it is going.

If it has stayed near same then rates either went up or as mentioned if on a budget billing program they maybe re-evaluated usage and was underpaid the previous year (or whatever the evaluation period is) and needs to factor in extra to catch up. But with budget billing customer is usually paying same amount every month regardless of usage, usually for a year before they evaluate payment amount for the next year.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Probably another one of those alternate suppliers on their bill that talked them into signing or joining them and now that a number of months to year that great rate is no longer valid. And yes the rate does double over a period of a few months after their “introductory offer”

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
If they get their water from a private well, check to see if the pump is constantly running. My dad had that problem-- the foot valve on the submersible pump failed, and the pump had to run constantly to keep water in the pressure tank & the house.

Dad tried all the usual fixes: "You kids turn out the lights when you're not in a room!"

Bill didn't change back to 'normal' until the pump was hauled out of the well and replaced.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
I would check to see if there was a rate change on their bill due to Time Of Use (TOU) billing. I know years ago when smart meters were installed in our area (TOU kicked in automatically) there was a ton of complaints because customers did not understand how to adjust their usage and only use high demand appliances (washer, dryer, ironing, etc.) during off peak hours. It took quite awhile before the complaints tapered off.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I would check to see if there was a rate change on their bill due to Time Of Use (TOU) billing. I know years ago when smart meters were installed in our area (TOU kicked in automatically) there was a ton of complaints because customers did not understand how to adjust their usage and only use high demand appliances (washer, dryer, ironing, etc.) during off peak hours. It took quite awhile before the complaints tapered off.
That happened around here, most people failed to pay attention. So Off-Peak rates are normal (for us, 11 cents/kWh), peak rates are 37 cents/kWh! Makes a HUGE difference in the bill at the end of the month if you don't pay attention to the details. In summer, Peak hours are 10AM to 9PM, so if cooking dinner with electric stoves and ovens, it costs a lot more than it used to.

Bwas

Look at demand charges. I had a project where the a client saved a significant amount of money by changing the way the cycled through their redundant equipment.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
What everyone else said, stressing that Heat Pump can fail in several different ways that will show up on electric bill

And well pump can short-cycle as well as run continuously

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
In my experience, 95% of the time there is no problem, similar to the "we go thru tons of light bulbs" claim ...
I was called in to diagnose one of those. "A light bulb burns out almost every day."
Apartment complex, more than a hundred bulbs, many not on a timer or photocontrol, and they were buying off-brand incandescent bulbs labeled (probably optimistically) "750 hours" at a dollar store. You do the math.

I bought a few cases of CFLs and spent all the rest of the day installing them. Seemed to correct their "electrical" problem.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
I had the same issue last year my bill got up to almost $400 a month when it ranged around $175. Turns out the new digital meter was faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.