Crane Disconnect Location

brennod10

New User
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Does a crane disconnect which is mounted to the girder in close proximity to the motor, 16' above the finished floor, satisfy the requirements in 610.31, 610.32, and 430.102, or is an additional disconnect needed at floor level? The original design was modified due to the crane manufacturer taking exception to the control panel (with lockable disconnect) being mounted remote on a wall at floor level at an accessible height. The control panel will now be mounted up by the motor which is 16' AFF and the contractor is questioning if an additional disconnect switch (at floor level) is now required. As I understand it, the installation will meet the 430.109 requirements of being in sight of the motor. But I'm confused on how 610.31 and 610.32 differ from each other. Seems 610.31(1) "Readily accessible and operable from the ground or floor level" tells me I need an extra disconnect... 610.32 says a disconnect can be omitted (disconnect will still be there, just inaccessible from the ground) if it meets the following: (1) The unit is controlled from the ground or floor level. (2) The unit is within view of the power supply disconnecting means. (3) No fixed work platform has been provided for servicing the unit. This installation satisfies these requirements.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Notice that 610.31 is for runway conductors and 610.32 is for cranes & hoists on the load side of the runway conductors.