correct wire wrap at screw terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul32

Re: correct wire wrap at screw terminals

I see white book information in the online certications directory, but there doesn't seem to be any information for specific listings (it just lists the name and address). I assumed this would have things for a specific device. Isn't that what is in the green book? Or does the green book just list the company names like this online directory. I guess I was assuming information for a specific device would be in a UL directory, and not just marked on the product or packaging, such as allowing 2 wires on a screw or 2 cables in a connector.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Pual the white book is general information, the green book has more listings. Each has some information on product use and installation.

paul32

Right, but is the green book just a listing of the manufacturers of a product, or does it also contain specific requirements or permissions of that manufacturer's product that differ from the general white book information? The online directory doesn't seem to have the latter. Is the green book available for download someplace? Then I know for sure what's in it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Paul, the green book has all the same text as the white book along with a list of manufacturers.

I have both.

I don't know if you can down load the green book.

Roger

paul32

I'm just trying to understand which UL directories I would need to use to properly install things per code. The code requires things installed according to its instructions or requirements for listing, which I understand is not all the instructions which might come with the product. So I thought maybe the green book had that information. So I guess it is just the white book that is needed, and only need to follow the instructions in the product when referenced by the white book. For example, the white book says the package labeling will say if a cable connector allowed two cables to be used. So the only time something is specific to one manufacturer's product is when the white book refers to package or product labels?

There are two reasons I was looking for UL information instead of using the instructions with the product: the product instructions could be missing something needed and there could be instructions that are a pain or other reason to do it different. Simply looking at the product instructions couldn't tell me what needs to be followed and what is just there to tell beginners what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.