Copper Prices Soaring!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedottcom

What's up with the cost of copper lately? :confused: I don't know about the rest of the country but here in Florida the cost of NM Romex has gone up 35% in the last few months.
Anyone know of a "Buy Direct" website with decent prices for NM?

Dave

davedottcom

Re: Copper Prices Soaring!?

Wow...I never knew Chile was such a major part of the copper industry. Let's hope this is temporary, I know we all have bids out there that didn't account for this!

Thanks Hurk27

Dave

dereckbc

Staff member

It's bad news if you are buying, great if you are selling. I have got a lot of scrap to sell and have been waiting for prices to climb.

ryan_618

Originally posted by dereckbc:
It's bad news if you are buying, great if you are selling. I have got a lot of scrap to sell and have been waiting for prices to climb.
The EPA has changed its regulations regarding the treating process of pressure preserved treated wood. A common indgrediant in the new stuff is recycled copper. I would think this might also increase the value of your copper rabbits.

davedottcom

I just paid $87.60 for 1000' of 14/2... two months ago it was only $55.00.

OUCH!

It's got to go back down again....right!?!

Dave

joel hall

Also here in Tennessee romex 12-2 wg 123.99 for 1000 ft at the depot,up 40 dollars in 3 months

JH

amptech

I just don't understand it. My supply house is a regional company with 16 branches in 3 states. Their price on a 250' roll of 12-2 w/g has gone from $19.00 last November to $39.00 last week. This outfit buys it by the train car load from Southwire. Small lumber yard in our town also buys from Southwire and they are selling it for $27.00 a roll as of yesterday. They have always been about $5.00 a roll cheaper than my supply house but the gap has widened in the last 4 months. Steel prices are going through the roof as well. My brother has a welding fab/repair business and angle iron he was paying $.28 a pound for last fall is now $.78 a pound. Our local recycling center was paying $30.00 a ton for scrap iron 3 months ago and now they are paying $110.00 a ton. I'm bidding custom homes for this summer with $180.00 per 1000' figured in for 12-2. I hope it's enough.

bigjohn67

When bidding jobs, we realize that material such as copper, pvc and some other items go up and down. We accommodate this. The gross projected profit fluctuates a bit but we always make a profit.
Scrap copper in our area for #1 is going for 85 cents per pound. We use measuring tape pulled thru conduit to not have any waste, on measured pulls.

500' of THHN 12 awg stranded is $22 here in Kansas. Is that unreasonable or not to others out there?

sparky 134

here in the chicagoland area the local big box is selling #12 stranded 500' roll for 27.50 the other local big box has it for 23.00 so i made the first big box price match plus 10%. i spent a lot of money that night.... hope my speculation pays off...

hillbilly

Sparky 134
Man that's cheap. Last summer around here a 250' roll of 12NM was selling for $19+change, now it's $27. I'd mortgage the farm and buy it all if I could buy 500' rolls for $23.
steve

[ March 02, 2004, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: hillbilly ]

hillbilly

Sorry, I just realized that you were talking about single conductor stranded :roll: .

amptech

#12 THHN 500' spools have gone up here too. 6 months ago I was paying around $20.00 a spool. Last week my supply house priced it to me at $35.00. The mom & pop supply house was $27.00. So if you can get it for $22.00 I'd rat-hole all I could afford right now.

dkmorgan

I've noticed that the cost of NM wire usually follows the cost of gas/diesel when it goes up so does wire. I don't know if it is true or not but the seems to be a direct effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.