Copper lines and tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalist

When the plumbers strap their pipe they usually tape where the strap goes.
When I run mc by a water line I tape my mc.
What is the reason for this?

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
When the plumbers strap their pipe they usually tape where the strap goes.
When I run mc by a water line I tape my mc.
What is the reason for this?

I don't know why you are taping your MC.

I can see the plumbers taping a copper water pipe if it is strapped by a galvanized strap to prevent galvanic corrosion. Zinc and copper do not play well together - unless the intent is to build a battery. If they use copper or non metallic straps there should be not reason to tape. Should be no reason to tape non copper piping as well.

electricalist

That makes sense kwired.
I never knew why I did it other than someone at some point said to and I just kept doing it.

user 100

I don't know why you are taping your MC.

I can see the plumbers taping a copper water pipe if it is strapped by a galvanized strap to prevent galvanic corrosion. Zinc and copper do not play well together....

Another trick plumbers will do is to sleeve the area of the copper to be strapped in a piece of insulation. I've heard that the actual probability of a reaction is largely dependent on how damp the installation will generally be, most plumbers will rightfully wrap anyway.

kwired

Electron manager
Another trick plumbers will do is to sleeve the area of the copper to be strapped in a piece of insulation. I've heard that the actual probability of a reaction is largely dependent on how damp the installation will generally be, most plumbers will rightfully wrap anyway.
Yes, if you place an electrolyte between the copper and zinc, you get more electrolysis. Water is not a great electrolyte but is better then air. If the pipe is in a humid area then cold water inside the pipe will produce condensation on the outside.

user 100

Yes, if you place an electrolyte between the copper and zinc, you get more electrolysis. Water is not a great electrolyte but is better then air. If the pipe is in a humid area then cold water inside the pipe will produce condensation on the outside.

Definitely- in a lot of places the copper strapped w/ those dissimilar hangers start leaking in the unconditioned crawlspace after just a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.