ControlLogix PLC access locked?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

S'mise

paulengr

Are you using Linx classic or new but not improved? Using the Ethernet/IP driver or the older one?

Also revision 20 was sort of a transition. Check the compatibility matrix tool on Rockwell’s web site. Studio/Logix 5000 is actually several programs, each in its own directory, with some glue software to make it “look” like one system. I had no problems with XP or Win 7 but Win 10 at least last I ran rev 20 (the last firmware the L71s would load) would not at that time run on Win 10. It LOOKS like it is working but it won’t. Try running Virtualbox then load Win 7 or XP. In fact I tun ALL Rockwell software virtualized no matter what because it is all buggy crap that doesn’t play well even with itself.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Are you using Linx classic or new but not improved? Using the Ethernet/IP driver or the older one?

Also revision 20 was sort of a transition. Check the compatibility matrix tool on Rockwell’s web site. Studio/Logix 5000 is actually several programs, each in its own directory, with some glue software to make it “look” like one system. I had no problems with XP or Win 7 but Win 10 at least last I ran rev 20 (the last firmware the L71s would load) would not at that time run on Win 10. It LOOKS like it is working but it won’t. Try running Virtualbox then load Win 7 or XP. In fact I tun ALL Rockwell software virtualized no matter what because it is all buggy crap that doesn’t play well even with itself.
I have several L71's with firmware loaded later than version 20.

It is true that version 20 of firmware had some real quirks to it. You have to have the exact version of software as the firmware if you have one of the early versions of version 20. I think the latest version of version 20 sort of supports all of the versions of version 20.

Your best bet is to download a version of RSLogix 5000 off the Allen Bradley download site. There is one that supports version 20 through 32 I think. That one is very stable and works with most of the versions from 20 on pretty well.

There is only one version of RS links that works with RSLogix 5000. They call it RSLinks classic. There's another version of communication software that they used to call RSLinx Enterprise but has been renamed FactoryTalk linx, but it only works with the factory talk view products.

S'mise

I'm running the latest Version that i just downloaded from the RA website.
Problem might be I also have older v20 of 5000 on the same PC. I've heard I may have to uninstall the previous version.

I tried RSLinks classic and the new version and no go.
I'm hooking direct with usb so the Ethernet/IP driver should be irrelevant.

I'll see what the Rockwell guys say tomorrow.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
I am trying to connect to a ControlLogix 5580 PLC on a newer machine we own.

I understand our Studio5000 software will need to be upgraded to newest version, but I'm wondering about security measures on these new controllers.
I have heard they can be digitally locked and may require authentication by the program author.

Will we have trouble connecting to a digitally signed controller if the manufacturer doesn't want to grant us access?
They seem to want to hold us hostage by charging us big money every time their glitchy machine goes down.

I am out of date with newer controllers and could use some guidance on how to proceed.

Looking at your SCREEN SHOT-- you are at the prompt to UPLOAD a program from your machine.
However, the context of your narrative tells me that you trying to get a mirror image of the operating system of your existing machine and somehow use it on your future machine that you intend to purchase.

(I want to try it before investing on a 10K System)
Essentially--you are trying to clone your existing OS.

Most of these industrial Operating Systems (or apps) are proprietary. They’re are not doing this for charity.
Besides, your approach is akin to “putting the horse behind the cart.”

To be able to proceed on cloning or getting a mirror image of what you have now-- requires a thorough knowledge of the 7 Layers or
OSI protocol to get at your level –in essence the HARDWARE
LAYER. By this, I mean, what system of communication are you using.

At this point in your approach: you are at the lowest level in the OSI
and you don’t know what protocol is supporting it.
Before you can initiate a migration of your APPS, drivers or the entire OS.

There is a big chance that you are using MODBUS Protocol for your old System. It is usually integrated into RS Logix –and the good thing is it’s free to download.Although you have to know what you’re doing to deploy it in your system if it’s not yet in there.

Failure (due to errors) could render devastating consequences on the entire system,
You are basically modifying the entire REGISTRY of your computer library.
There are several competing systems that Schneider offer this for free to promote wider use.
MODBUS is the DE FACTO Standard for industrial use along with SCADA and other protocols like BAS (Building Autromation System) for remote monitoring.
MODBUS is also popular for remote control and administering utilities and sewage treatment facilities.

S'mise

Looking at your SCREEN SHOT-- you are at the prompt to UPLOAD a program from your machine.
However, the context of your narrative tells me that you trying to get a mirror image of the operating system of your existing machine and somehow use it on your future machine that you intend to purchase.

(I want to try it before investing on a 10K System)
Essentially--you are trying to clone your existing OS.
I'm not trying to clone or get a mirror image. I'm just trying to connect to this controller.

My first attempt using 5000 v20 told me I needed firmware v33 or higher.

Then when i downloaded v33; something was corrupt with the software which was why I couldn't connect.

Upon reinstalling v33 I was able to connect but was notified the processor had v31.
In stead of upgrading the processor to v33 (and risk losing program of a 2 million dollar machine) I plan on loading v31 to match controller.
I know v33 works because I can open a .vcd file.

I tried downloading v31 on the Rockwell site but strangely the download file requires being opened with a Flash program. ?

It's been a busy week but will call for support when time allows.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm not trying to clone or get a mirror image. I'm just trying to connect to this controller.

My first attempt using 5000 v20 told me I needed firmware v33 or higher.

Then when i downloaded v33; something was corrupt with the software which was why I couldn't connect.

Upon reinstalling v33 I was able to connect but was notified the processor had v31.
In stead of upgrading the processor to v33 (and risk losing program of a 2 million dollar machine) I plan on loading v31 to match controller.
I know v33 works because I can open a .vcd file.

I tried downloading v31 on the Rockwell site but strangely the download file requires being opened with a Flash program. ?

It's been a busy week but will call for support when time allows.
can consider sharing the program file with rockwell tech support and ask them if it is protected or if they can connect. tech connect is a great thing, the engineers are capable and will help you with just about anything, even with writing logic and using instructions. don't be afraid to ask them-they've heard it all

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
By no means is this an older processor.

I'm guessing something might be wrong with Studio5000 software.
Just so you know...
The L85E is indeed a current product, but if that is where you bought it, Automation Stop is not an authorized Rockwell distributor, they are a "grey market" reseller, so you bought surplus and you have no idea what it was used for or set up as previously.

S'mise

so any luck getting into the plc program?
Yes, I am in.
I needed 31.02 software to work with a 31.11 controller. The 31.11 software is retired because of a safety builtin on it.

Problem is, the standard edition only supports ladder logic. If you need structured text you need the Pro version to access it.

I had to borrow a license through TechConnect which is only good for 30 days.

What I didn't realize is the only portion of software that is locked is the safety program.
Of course for liability reasons.

I'm new to structured text but it seems similar to Basic or VBasic.

My other obstacle is its all written in Italian.

Wish me luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.