ControlLogix PLC access locked?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

S'mise

I am trying to connect to a ControlLogix 5580 PLC on a newer machine we own.

I understand our Studio5000 software will need to be upgraded to newest version, but I'm wondering about security measures on these new controllers.
I have heard they can be digitally locked and may require authentication by the program author.

Will we have trouble connecting to a digitally signed controller if the manufacturer doesn't want to grant us access?
They seem to want to hold us hostage by charging us big money every time their glitchy machine goes down.

I am out of date with newer controllers and could use some guidance on how to proceed.

wolfsburged

Occupation
Engineer
5580 is going to be firmware v29-v33. As you may be aware you have to install each version independently but they can coexist on the same machine. I would use RSLinx/FTLinx to browse to the processor and right click it and check the properties to verify firmware version.

There are a variety of ways and levels of programming restrictions possible. You will have to go online to see. Assuming you don't have the source program and have to upload, at least with the newer firmware versions the comments and such should upload. Source protection has been around for awhile. I advise clients to not accept equipment with proprietary or locked firmware and applications.

S'mise

Yes, it says firmware v33 required, whether trying to open the program file, or connecting directly with the PLC. I didn't see any message about it being locked but I'm using an old v20 of Studio5000.

Is there a way of knowing if its propriatory/locked before investing $10k for Studio5000 pro?

Thanks.

wolfsburged

Occupation
Engineer
Not to my knowledge. Do you have an offline ACD program file backup?

Do you service AB PLCs with any regularity? You can do a yearly subscription for a toolkit which gets you all of the software. Not cheap though, starting price around $5k a seat.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Yes, it says firmware v33 required, whether trying to open the program file, or connecting directly with the PLC. I didn't see any message about it being locked but I'm using an old v20 of Studio5000.

Is there a way of knowing if its propriatory/locked before investing $10k for Studio5000 pro?

Thanks.
I think if you have a legit license and upto date contract of RSLogix5000 you can download the latest version.

wolfsburged

Occupation
Engineer
I think if you have a legit license and upto date contract of RSLogix5000 you can download the latest version.

If he has a TechConnect contract then he should be able to download the new version. If no support contract, out of luck. Otherwise best to ask the local distributor.

S'mise

Yes, it sounds like a TechConnect contract is probably the way to go.

I have a legit copy of Studio5000 but no contract.

Local distributor said I need to update factory talk activation manager.

How does that work, I sign up on the Rockwell website and they collect payment through my local distributors account number?

I was hoping this was as simple as ordering the latest version and they send me a disk.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Yes, it sounds like a TechConnect contract is probably the way to go.

I have a legit copy of Studio5000 but no contract.

Local distributor said I need to update factory talk activation manager.

How does that work, I sign up on the Rockwell website and they collect payment through my local distributors account number?

I was hoping this was as simple as ordering the latest version and they send me a disk.
I don't think they send media out anymore. You have to download it.

I think you have to buy tech connect thru your distributor.

wolfsburged

Occupation
Engineer
Yes, you order the contract through the distributor. You will probably have to sign up for a Rockwell partner program account or if you already have a knowledgebase account they probably can link it. That will give you the TechConnect area privileges on the website so that you can access the software downloads.

They may have a physical media option but downloading it is pretty fast. I have a toolkit so they send me a flash drive every year with the latest software. It's still out of date within a month so I end up downloading most of it anyway.

The software download page is kind of confusing at first though.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Thanks, I'll look into it.
Apparently, AB has had to rethink their latest software blunder. They made it so version 20 and earlier of RSLogix5000 would not work with the latest software activation. Likely to encourage "upgrades". yesterday we got another license key from them that supports the earlier versions.

I don't know if this works on windows XP or not. The latest version of the licensing software no longer supports XP at all so if you have DH+ or DH485 networks to support, you are close to being out of luck. No doubt some clever marketing manager got a big bonus for this because it encourages replacement of old equipment.

S'mise

Yes, it's frustrating.
I was also unable to get my old RS500 to run on my laptop.
It gave an error messages it doesn't recognize winXp even though the OS is win 10.

S'mise

Alright, I've downloaded V33 of Studio5000 and the latest FactoryTalk ver after getting a TechConnect contract.

Unfortunately I still can't connect to the ControlLogix5383. That is, it connects directly with a USB cable and shows the processor and backplane, but the upload button is grayed out and doesn't do anything.

Any ideas why I can't upload from this controller? Screenshot_20210326-170614_Gallery.jpg

paulengr

Not 100% sure in this but several of those older processors had USB but you couldn’t actually use it for anything but I think some firmware updates. It looks like what you are describing. Try a different port. That may be your only issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.