Conduit suggestion needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoeclectic

Occupation
Contractor
Hi everyone,

I have a conduit question.

I need to run CAT6 riser cables and it seems the only way to do it is to run a conduit along the wall outside to get from the structure on the left to the building. I don't want to waste your time with the long winded explanation of why we can't just bore straight through the walls (basically we can't).

I noticed that someone else previously used ENT which you can see in the image in the upper left corner. I always thought this was an improper way to utilize ENT. The other conduits you see are for lighting.

It this an acceptable use case for ENT? If it is then that's what I would want to do because it's simple.

If utilizing ENT this way is against NEC guidelines what would you suggest to use as a conduit? My main concern is that the conduit will be exposed for about 15'-20'.

And also, can a UL rated liquidtight be an acceptable conduit to use?

Thank you!

conduits.jpg

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
For CAT6, NEC doesn't care what you run it in. Personally, I would run EMT or PVC. But consider that ENT is used outdoors for nearly every A/C whip from the disconnect to condenser, I don't think it would be a problem.

-Hal

cadpoint

Welcome to the forum, I'm an old EMT pipe runner, if outdoor I'd use EMT with this coupling and connectors
that are rated for wet locations, and also use associated cast boxes or elbows.
If you use flexible raceways, you can't strap it enough to hold the weight of itself with the product and what the
weather will do to it. IE it'll look just like the picture shown, but that's just me. Oh and there's plenty of back alley's
that look just like this.

shopping.png shopping (1).png

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
For CAT6, NEC doesn't care what you run it in. Personally, I would run EMT or PVC. But consider that ENT is used outdoors for nearly every A/C whip from the disconnect to condenser, I don't think it would be a problem.

-Hal
Never seen ENT used that way here for HVAC, it's either non-metallic, or metallic liquid tight. (Carflex, Seal tight)

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician

-Hal
Never seen ENT used that way here for HVAC, it's either non-metallic, or metallic liquid tight. (Carflex, Seal tight)
Same here. I've never seen ENT used that way. Most of it I have seen is blue and we called it "Smurf pipe". I have seen it once in orange. We used it a lot on one job for alarm wiring. I had the "pleasure" of pulling wire in it and having fishtapes tear through on a few bends. It is not suitable for long runs. Best for drops to a switch or data box, etc. Only thing going for it was being cheap. Prewired whips at HD or Lowe's are usually in LFMC. I've made them with LFNC (Carlon) and LFMC (Sealtight). Carlon is half the price and fine for most uses.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Sorry. Got ENT confused with LFNC. Duh, forgot ENT is smurf pipe. I don't know how resistant to the outdoors it is, I've always considered it for use indoors. If it were being used as a Chapter 1 wiring method and installed where exposed to sunlight, the Code says that it has to be sunlight (UV) resistant and I don't see any that is.

Nothing says you can't use it for data cable outdoors, but I wouldn't.

-Hal

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Sorry. Got ENT confused with LFNC. Duh, forgot ENT is smurf pipe. I don't know how resistant to the outdoors it is, I've always considered it for use indoors. If it were being used as a Chapter 1 wiring method and installed where exposed to sunlight, the Code says that it has to be sunlight (UV) resistant and I don't see any that is.

Nothing says you can't use it for data cable outdoors, but I wouldn't.

-Hal
(y) It is too flexible and thin-walled and almost certainly not UV resistant.

Neoeclectic

Occupation
Contractor
Hi Everyone,

I appreciate the quick responses. After reading through I think I'll be doing PVC or EMT. The ENT was a tantalizing thought because it would have been a quick and dirty solution, but a few of you confirmed my concern that it's not appropriate even in the case that the run may be very short.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.