conduit questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vptran

Hi Everyone,

Is it possible to run some power wires #12 with a couple of control wires #14 from a 6 circuit panel to a metering panel? or is that unacceptable? Let me know if I'm being a little unclear. Thanks

Vinh

vptran

sorry for being vague...I'm just running a conduit containing power wires from a 30A/2P breaker to a 6 circuit panel. From this 6 circuit panel, i will then be able to distribute power to two other metering panels. THe two metering panel will then power 3 Motor operated valves.

So my question is...can you run power wires along with control wires from the 6 circuit panel to the two metering panels? Or will you need to run them in seperate conduits?

Thanks,

Vinh

cpal

what is the source of power for the control circuit refer to 725 for example (CL 1 or CL 2 or 3 power supplies)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
vptran said:
sorry for being vague...I'm just running a conduit containing power wires from a 30A/2P breaker to a 6 circuit panel. From this 6 circuit panel, i will then be able to distribute power to two other metering panels. THe two metering panel will then power 3 Motor operated valves.

So my question is...can you run power wires along with control wires from the 6 circuit panel to the two metering panels? Or will you need to run them in seperate conduits?

Thanks,

Vinh

There is generally no prohibition on running control wires with power wires as long as the control wires are not limited energy circuits.

vptran

Initially, I ran 8#12, 1#12G in a 1-1/2" Conduit from an existing Panel to a power pull box. From the pull box, i then ran 2#12, 1#12G along with 8#14 to one of the metering panel. From the metering panel, i power one of the pump with 2#12, 1#12G and 4#14 (for high pressure, fail). Also from the metering panel, i powered the Motor operated valve with 2#12, 1#12G, and 4#14.

After thinking about it, instead of running the 8#12, 1#12G from the existing panel to the power pull box, I decided to run it to a new 6 circuit panel which will allow me some room to work with for future expansion. So now i can reroute all of the power conduit to this new 6 circuit panel. But from this 6 circuit panel, can i still keep the control wires along with the power wires when i run the 6 ckt panel to the metering panel? Before, the 2#12, 1#12G and 8#14 was coming from the power pull box to the metering panel. Now can I keep the same thing by running it from the 6 ckt panel to the metering panel?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Vptran,

Could you please state the nature of your involvement in the project? We are not to give DIY advice to anyone that does not have training in the hands-on portion of the industry. You're using verbiage that makes it sound as though you are.

vptran

George,

I'm a junior electrical engineer at a consulting company. You are right that I have not had that much experience in this line of work considering that I graduated in June and have only been working for 4 months.

From what I have learned so far, I know that you can run control wires along with power wires in 1 conduit, just not analog (signals, normally #TSP) wires with control or power due to distortion. But I'm just curious that from my previous design going to the pull box from existing panel, i was able to run power and control together. Per my new design, I have to run power conduit to 6 ckt panel first, then power and control wires from 6 ckt panel to metering panel. So my question is that can you run power and control between two panels? Or will you normally need a seperate junction box for the control wires since panels are normally utilized for power distribution.

aeroplumber

I'm a first time user trying. Not sure how to enter. It says use the one of the quick icons to post a message. I'm not sure what that means!!!!! Anyway my question is between two building is a 1 inch conduit PVC allready buried. I want to install a 12 KW generator and I want to put the following wires in the race way. 3 #4 THHN 1 #8 THHN 2 #12 THHN. Using the 40 % rule for more than 2 wires and I'm derating from 6 to 4 to get my current load. Total area for the PVC sch. 40 pipe is 535 mm and 40 % rule would be 214 mm. So if I add 3 #4's @ 53.16 plus 1 #8 @ 23.61 plus 2 #12's @ 8.58 equals 200.25. Is there a problem here that I'm not seeing. Mike

drg

George the guy has said that he is involved in the electrical industy and not a diy'er .
Now why don't you answer his questions?

Editted post for ...................well lets just say for better reasons .

Last edited:

engy

drg said:
George the guy has said that he is involved in the electrical industy and not a diy'er .

Maybe you should quit playing moderator and let them do that task !!!

You come off like you are some big know it all but the truth is your just like anyone else here trying to learn a little further so quit being such a blowhard ok!!

??? Kinda harsh?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
drg said:

Maybe you should quit playing moderator and let them do that task !!!

You come off like you are some big know it all but the truth is your just like anyone else here trying to learn a little further so quit being such a blowhard ok!!
Enough of this, John. It was a legitimate question. Rather than hit the "Report Post" button and delay answers for a few days, I figured I'd just ask and be done with it. I've had about enough abuse for one day, thanks.

In answer to the OP, I would avoid mixing types of conductors as much as possible to avoid confusion and possible damage to equipment from misties.

That said, wire it all with 600V conductors and you're legal as far as I know.

drg

Enough is enough huh?
Well I will be the one to make that choice, not you!!!!!

Being picked on is no fun hey George ???

John

I will delete/edit "Part of " that post I made just to show I have a heart.

drg

George you don't have to ridicule yourself with that signature , just be your self and have fun here OK , Im not going to try and take that away from you , sometimes I think you are a funny guy , sometimes you make a lot of sense,
and sometimes you stick your nose in where it don't belong and you don't have a clue what your talking about but just babble on anyways!!

Acchk, besides all that BS I'll do my best to keep the peace with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.