Conduit pricing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon

Has the price of Metallic conduit double in everyone's area? 1 year ago 1/2" emt sold for $15.00 per hundred ft. Today it is $35.00. If it is blamed on the steel industry than why hasn't a steel building doubled in price?

ed downey

Re: Conduit pricing?

I Don't KNow About The Price Of A Steel Building But I Do Know That Structural Steel And Rebar Have Doubled In Price In The Last Year Or So.
-Ed

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by ed downey:
I Don't KNow About The Price Of A Steel Building But I Do Know That Structural Steel And Rebar Have Doubled In Price In The Last Year Or So.
-Ed
I about fell over a few weeks ago when I paid $7 for a 10' piece of 3/4" black iron pipe.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Bought 800 feet of 3.5" GRC $1550,00 per c

Roger

dereckbc

Staff member

The price is going up for many reason, but the two biggest are Iraq and oil prices. The majority of building material is going overseas to rebuild IRAQ over-n-over again.

hurk27

I was told that China was buying up our steel faster than we can produce it. they are also buying up all the scrap and ore too as well as the coal that's creating a big shortage for the local industrys and driving prices through the roof. I'm right in the hart of the steal plants here and they are telling me they are having a hard time even getting the raw matierals they need as it is all being shipped over seas. and the fact in the last 20 years the US steal industry has down sized to meet the crunch of the "70's"

tse0725

Yep,

NPR did a report on a small town in Montana that was getting their iron ore mines opened for business from a decade of being closed. Everyone was happy (which they should be)and excited. So was I, it was nice to hear that domestic ore was going to be mined again and that some relief may be in sight. At the end of the program they said the US company had been bought out by Chinese companies. Imagine that. Guess where that ore is going?

c-h

The high price has led many mills to increase steel production and new ones are under construction. The US, Europe, China, Brazil, you name it. Expect prices to collapse in a year or two when the market becomes saturated.

bigjohn67

We use to pay $1.10 for 10ft of 1/2" emt
Now! $3.35

Have yall priced a piece of 2" rigid? We now pay over $50.00

klinkas

I was shocked. 20? 3? Galvanized $256 in NYC
Why Price hike in steal? Union dues (US Labor is high and growing), import from China will not get cheaper it will grow, and $ is weak, so we looking into US coming inflation or interest increase in next 2 to 6 months. But the real question how to stay in business? How to tell the customer that you will charge double?

Tom
?Above the code? ;)

charlie k.

Tom. I seriously doubt union dues having anything to do with it. Our steel is being sent to China. The price of scrap is also up. China is having a huge building boom.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Our steel is being sent to China.

Yeah, and the EMT at my supply house is stamped "Bolivia". Couldn't believe how crummy this stuff was so I went and looked at the new stuff that just came in. Looked bad and smelled like cat urine to boot!

-Hal

(Political statement removed)

[ December 05, 2004, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: bill addiss ]

At the moment steel is about double, and copper is pretty close. Concrete shortages are prevalent in many areas.

The Chinese are a factor, but the decline in the value of the US dollar may be having an impact as well since much of the steel for construction comes from over seas.

Status
Not open for further replies.