Conductor ampacity rating for line side tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

voynar

New User
Occupation
Developer
I am new to solar, and have a novice amount of electrical experience. Recently I've been thinking of a PV (solar) system at my detached structure that will feed back to my MSP, and the grid. It gets great exposure - my home, however does not.
MSP is QO 225A bus, 200A main, 4/O SEU. A 60A 240V circuit feeds the barn with #6 CU and is ~165' away. The barn feed is sent thru 1" PVC, and lands in a QO 100A MLO sub panel.
I want a system that will warrant a 7.6k inverter (32 x 1.25 = 40A of OCP) and backfeed on the existing #6. I've searched for a while now - the 2017 NEC code is a daunting, long-winded, exhaustive, yet informative, piece of literature that has effectively confused the sh** out of me. That's why I'm here.
I am speculating that I will need to pull #4 CU (the largest 4-wire gauge that will fit the 1" PVC) through the trench), upgrade the sub panel or lock down a branch-fed main, or derate something.
I'm wondering what part of the code I need to refer to and the exact calculations I need before determining the wire ampacity rating for backfeeding solar, and possibly line-side tapping.
Thanks!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

To better help us serve you, please be sure to update your account details with your occupation field and location if you have not done so already. You can access your account details by clicking on your account name at the top right of the page when on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.